Ceiling fans - remotes

Speaking of ceiling fans, I'm having one installed this week. (50 yr old house with no ceiling fixture, and the wall switch controls the wall outlet, but they said it'd be easy to do). I was originally going to have them wire it so I could control the light or speed separately at the wall, then the guy doing the estimate suggested getting a remote.

I bought this remote

(dang - long link. On the HD site, the sku# is 191707). It's a wall mounted remote that operates on 16 possible frequencies. I figured that should reduce wiring issues. Then I got to thinking about the "now it's cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw this
(sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency, should I be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I should be able to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I guess I'll just use the handheld.

Thanks.

Reply to
Lee

Lee wrote in news:MIedndCTI_qODK7VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Take a gander at this some time.

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9AA4ECDEC8C23RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

Ooops! Forgot something:-)

Take a gander at this some time:

Red Green

remote

(dang - long link. On the HD site, the sku# is 191707). It's a wall

this

(sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

my 2 hunter douglas fans came with remotes designed for them. Only one problem - no mention in installation manual of any possibility of changing remote frequencies. I installed both and then found that using the remote in the living room also turned on the fan in the bedroom. Called hunter-douglas, they told me how to change the frequency.. I had to take one fan down to do so. PITA. But i love the fans now..

Reply to
mike_0_007

I'd thought about using that, but to be honest, I generally won't click on a tiny url in a newsgroup unless I really "know" the poster (potential malware sites) and wasn't sure if others would either. So I figured including the sku# was a sort of compromise in case some people's newsreaders couldn't deal with the link. (Mine kept it intact when posted).

But thanks for the reminder; maybe next time I should do a tiny url in addition to the long string.

Reply to
Lee

Not necessary. If you surround your link with angle-brackets "< >" the link will render appropriately in a newsreader.

I don&#39;t know, nor do I care, how it might work in Google Groups.

Reply to
HeyBub

Lee wrote in news:nuSdnVO3GIyelqnVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yep, pretty much what I do as well.

The poster of the tiny url also has the option to allow the clicker to preview the real address before actually going to it.

Here&#39;s one to Dewalt tools for a circular saw.

Actual link:

TinyURL:
TinyURL with preview:

Red Green

In case anyone was interested in the original question. Yes, both remotes work as is on the fan (ie, the installers didn&#39;t change either frequency).

Reply to
Lee