Shovel Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a great shovel. This is what I need:

  1. Round point digging shovel
  2. Long handle, overall length preferably 65"+
  3. Blade should be 14 - 12ga. pre-sharpened steel
  4. Long widows-peak socket
  5. The handle should be the strongest material available in a shovel for maximum prying leverage.
  6. Large, forward turned steps on blade

So far, the strongest shovel I have been able to find is made by Corona Tools, the blade is great, very tough and it can be re-sharpened easily.

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain amount of prying

I pay about $26 each for these at the local landscape supply:

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

On 12/11/2016 7:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote: ...

No shovel is going to take that kind of abuse albeit I do think quality of wooden handle stock is significantly less than what it once was...

For the purpose you're using it for, I'd suggest replacing the handle of one of the ones you've broken with metal bar/pipe.

Reply to
dpb

Why not replace the handles? Some stores carry them but you may have to do some digging or have them special ordered. We used to have a handle factory the next town over and they can fit anything for you. I used to break my splitting maul most every year.

You may even find a fiberglass handle that will outlast 10 wooden ones.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can you replace a wooden handle with something you make?

Can you replace a fiberglass handle with something you make?

'nuff sed....

Wanna know about axes? Look fer Wranglestar on Youtube. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The company has been replacing the shovels we have broken. I am simply looking for a better shovel, one that will take greater punishment. In the past, it seemed we could punish the shovels with hickory handles far more than we can punish these. It is possible the older shovels were made with old growth hickory.

As for fiberglass, we have shattered at least one fiberglass handle, it didn't seem to take as much punishment as the wood handles.

Do you have experience with a specific brand of fiberglass handle shovel that you feel was superior to other shovels you have used?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Meanie

Not really "'nuff sed", would you elaborate further?

No interest in axes, but thanks.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Have you actually purchased one of these? We acquired one and bent the blade almost immediately.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Great links - I think we have a winner ! I just can't imagine using the 8 pound all-steel model for very long .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

We bent the blade, within a week, on the Bully shovel posted above.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Don't see a name and the handle on my maul is over 20 years now. After much abuse it keeps on going. Same handle is used on axes on fire trucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The article mentions the next-model-up which has thicker guage steel for the blade - at 1 pound extra weight. .. or go to the all-steel 8 pound $ 120. unit - if you are only using it for those occasional short tough jobs. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Some cut.

If expensive means good:

I haven't tried any. We go down to the local farm supply store and buy shovels with fiber glass handles. They're not indestructible.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I don't know if these are what you are looking for:

I would also spend some time on Youtube researching shovels. I bet Wranglestar (a homesteader with $$$$) would be of some help.

nb

Reply to
notbob

+1 on the hickory, old growth or not. White oak might work well too (never seen a commercial one) as it is both strong and "bendy".
Reply to
dadiOH

I don't have a recommendation for a specific shovel, but I will say the ones with fiberglass handles hold up a lot better.

Over the years we have dug a lot of trenches on our property for power lines, water lines, drain lines, etc. Not to mention general digging in the garden, or preparing for foundations.

The first few years I must have gone through a half dozen wood handled shovels. The blade holds up fine, but the wood handles always broke trying to pry out a rock or root. I wasn't applying that much pressure when they broke either.

I finally spent a little more and got a shovel with a fiberglass handle (from the local home center) and it has lasted me over 25+ years. In the last year or two the very tip of the shovel has started to bend, making it harder to dig into firm soil. So far I've been able to straighten it out again with a hammer and it's good to go for another summer. But at some point it's going to get too weak and I'll have to replace the shovel.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Stormin' Norman posted for all of us...

Replace the handle with fiberglass.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Joe

thanks, I will have to take another look at fiberglass handles.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman