Should I replace my 3 ton AC

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, My outside AC, compressor unit 3 ton was installed when the house was built in 1988. It has served me very well for 17 cooling seasons without any problems. The only maintenance on the unit has been an annual spring inspection, and it has never needed any parts or freon. Some say it should have failed three years ago. Others say run it till it fails. Should I put this machine out to pasture? Thanks for your input
Vote me for run it till it quits. There is probably some energy savings to be had but the payback time is not worth replacing a working system. Just be sure your ductwork is tight and the system is serviced regularly. Just imagine how efficient the newer systems will be when yours finally quits ;-)

when the house

cooling seasons without

an annual spring

say run it till it

Dunno why some would say it should have failed "three years ago"; you sure it's not jealousy? <g>
I look at stiff like that a little like a car: Given good care/maintenance/driving, even years ago it wasn't all that unusual to get a hund thousand miles on one, and todays cars, well, I know several who made it real close to two hundred and the reason they got rid of them didn't have anyting to do with the mileage - they rusted out, fell apart, stopped heating, needed a fuel tank, stuff like that. IMO, I think this way: -- Will I care if it goes out on a hot day and it takes a week to get it replaced? -- If I replace it, is there any assurance the replacement won't go out during its infant mortality stages and require a week to fix? -- How much does it cost to run it per hour of electricity used? -- How much does it cost to run a new one per hour of electricity used? -- Is the cost of a new unit worth that long a payback period/the loss of the extra money? -- Do I care/like/dislike/need/want the neat little bells & whistles that go with a new unit?
And so on; the list can get longer, but that's my initial thoughts.,
I'm cheap! I don't fix things that ain't broke unless I have a pressing reason, not because someone else told me I should. And I'll research the info I need IF I worry about it giving up soon, rather than take anyone's word for it. And yes, I'm above average with my preventive maintenance; saves thousands. Finally retired my 28 year old lawn tractor two years ago; had to, the mower deck was a sieve instead of a deck and couldn't be patched anymore, the battery holder was gone, and the steering was a point 'n' hope style. Love my new one though! But it ain't gonna last like the last one, I can see that now. Oh yeah, the old one's a bird haven; we fill it with cedar in the winter for the birds.
Cheers, Pop
What is your AC bill , what seer is your unit, they loose apx 2% in efficiency per year. You could get 14 - 20 seer, depending on where you live and how much you run it will determine what is best for you. If your old unit is say a 7 seer a 14 will cut your bill in half. At 14 seer is 1 watt consumed for 14 btu of cooling.
Run the numbers your savings may be worth it, and you will avoid a major repair.
Then do you have forced air heat ? consider a 94.5% furnace with VS DC motor that will save electricity in winter. Now your costs are up and so are your savings.
m Ransley wrote:

Do you have a citation for "loose (sic) 2% in efficiency"? Assuming a good installation and proper maintenance, what causes the efficiency loss? If your thinking is that it is leaking compressor valves, then would this same premise apply to scrolls?
I have a 20 year old Carrier Round (recip) that was originally rated - with it's oversized evaporator and TXV -at 8.3 SEER. I just measured the power consumption (including air handler) at 3.6 kw, which for 30K BTU would be a SEER of 8.29.
Admittedly, I don't have an accurate way to measure the total BTU output of the system, but temperatures and pressures are spot on relative to the day it was installed. If the 2% efficiency decline were correct then I'd expect the performance change and or electrical consumption difference to be significant, and therefore noticeable.
Also, I recently replaced a second, identical Carrier system with a 29K BTU 13.0 SEER unit, and received exactly the cost reduction I expected to see by going from 8.3 SEER to 13.0 - power consumption went from 3.6 kw to 2.2 kw and my power consumption (adjusted for degree days) dropped accordingly. Again, no sign that the old system performance was degraded 40% by "age".
Sure Travis I have and article but your mail address doesnt look real-correct and I dont know how to forward an article to the group
Forward a link to the article.

m Ransley wrote:

Can you copy and paste the content? Or, you can send it to this address Yes, it is a real address.
Thanks.
spam dot trap at-sign hotpop dot com
I will send it to snipped-for-privacy@No.net
m Ransley wrote:
Sorry, my post must not have been clear enough.
THIS is the "real address" spam dot trap at-sign hotpop dot com
Travis write your addy as it appears, , you say dot, is that . At is @
m Ransley wrote:

Just say it out loud and write it that way. Yes, "at-sign" is @
OK Travis you got it , repost it if you think it is worth reading Mark
jentra, check your mail
JenTra wrote:

The average lifespan of a 1980's split system air conditioner is about 15 years. Yours is just at the average point, which means it could easily run longer. However, it is remarkable that you've never needed any service. Usually you'd have replaced at least the condenser fan motor by now, and maybe a capacitor or two. Both these are minor maintenance items.
I would let the system run, and even consider repairing it a couple of times (assuming you don't spring a refrigerant leak or have something else happen that requires opening the system). Installed in 1988, your current system is probably a minimum of 9.0 SEER even if it was a "builder's model". Although new systems will be more energy efficient, you'll never pay back the investment required to replace a functioning system with energy cost reductions.
| Hi all, My outside AC, compressor unit 3 ton was installed when the house | was built in 1988. It has served me very well for 17 cooling seasons without | any problems. The only maintenance on the unit has been an annual spring | inspection, and it has never needed any parts or freon. | Some say it should have failed three years ago. Others say run it till it | fails. Should I put this machine out to pasture? | Thanks for your input | When I moved into my current home I had the furnace and AC checked by a "professional" and he strongly suggested I replace them as he assured me they were old and couldn't possibly last much longer. That was 15 heating&cooling seasons ago and they're still going strong. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
my sentiments exactly.

Do you do any regular maintenance on these units? If yes, how often?
What kind of climate are you in?
Roland
JenTra wrote:

It is not possible to say how much longer it may continue to function. It is easy to say that you will save operating cost using a new one. The question is will it be worth the cost to get the savings. In some parts of the world you may have cheap power and only run it a few weeks a year. In other parts power is far more expensive and you may run it all but a few weeks.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.
I'm sorry to tell you that by a accident or on purpose some hvac installer installed your system correctly. If by accident a installer installed it correctly. you are faced with the problem of it running the next 30 to 40 years. Now you will have to change the condenser and furnace blower motors before the 40 years is up but You will be doing a good deed by letting a hvac service company make a little money.
30 to 40 years is not out of the question if installed correctly and oil the blower and condenser motors every 20 years weither they need it or not.
TURTLE