Should I demand a new roof...?

Page 1 of 2
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.
Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?
Thanks,
Red
Red wrote:

might want to see how much it would cost to have the whole thing done with seamed steel... end your roof problems forever... (there's a reason you see so many houses in rural/hilly/windy areas with steel roofs...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't use anything but steel, (altho not a standing seam) on 6 houses. Good for 30 yrs. min.

How odes it compare price wise? When I looked into a steel roof, it was 3X the cost of a 30 year shingle but expected to last 50 years. I doubt I'm going to last 50 years so I did not buy it as it was not cost effective. Maybe times have changed on prices?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I found the receipt for the garage roof while going through some of the papers the POs left and it was under $5K I think. (garage is almost as big as my admittedly small house...) granted this was over a decade ago, but still. a couple extra kilobucks for peace of mind is worth it, and I hate getting up on a roof.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

put a new roof on my house, it looked good, however, I did notice a lot of the "roof grit" in the gutters and not just from the beginning. It continues for years until the shingles just started turning up and breaking. Others in the neighborhood had the same problem with the Certainteed Horizon shingle. Certainteed admitted the problem, however, only offered to pay prorated cost of shingles. In my case, I needed a tear off as the Certainteed shingles were already the 2nd roof. It was going to cost me $5K but Certainteed only offered $500. I joined the class action suite group, however, as I was selling the house, I had to back out. See, the sharp Certainteed lawyers convinced everyone to allow ONLY original owners in the Class. Certainteed quickly gave me a $500 check. I think they saw the writing on the wall. The suite, to my knowledge, is not yet settled, but I here they were real close to an out of court settlement. I don't know what this means to the home owners, however, I know the lawyers will make a killing. BTW, the roofer tearing off the 2 roofs said that the Horizon shingles basically fell off, but he had to work read hard on the original 30 year old roof.
Get your neighbors (with the same problem), form a group and get a lawyer. The builder will understand this.
EJ in NJ
Nate Nagel wrote:

I just got my roof (1 story, 29 sqrs, 5/6 pitch, 30 year shingle) for $8k.
A metal roof costs $28k.
For most people a $28k roof is not an option.
od
Red wrote:

shingles or shoddy work installation or both. Get some written estimates and opinions then hire a lawyer. Take pictures of the defects.

What does your warranty say? What did the manufacturer say when you contacted them? 40mph is not a serious wind and you should be getting many happy years of service from even a mediocre grade shingle. Keep at them.
Red wrote:

Sounds like poor workmaship on shingle installer and/or El cheapo shingles. Hope that is the only problem on your house. No warrany from the builder or roofer? I have coated steel times on my roof. Good for at least 50 years. Very wind proof, fire proof.

blows off. I'll bet it was roofed when cold out.
Yes....or No.
Yep, it was cold out when shingles were put on roof

problem which can be solved with a can of roofing cement and a putty knife and a few hours of somebody on their knees. Roofing in the summer can be uncomfortably hot - I installed BLACK shingles on the farmhouse where I worked as a teanager in AUGUST. It was about 90F in the shade and 150 on the roof. No problem with tab sealing or shingle cracking!!!!
Red wrote:

Yes, because the foreman admitted that the shingles were defective, meaning the home builder, roofing contractor, or shingle manufacturer has to pay for a new roof, and quite possibly your home insurance company will insist on one. Get something in writing saying the shingles were made incorrectly, preferrably a technical bulletin by the shingle maker. Any reputable builder, roofer, or shingle manufacturer will provide this. Thoroughly photograph the roof, both in its entirety and where shingles are loose or missing, and don't remove any nails (but do photograph them with a ruler to show how far they penetrated) Keep all shingles that have fallen off (evidence), and don't separate such shingles if they came off in one piece. I can't imagine even the worst 5 YO shingles blowing off in just 40 MPH wings, especially since I've had 15-20 YO roofs, made with the cheapest fiberglass-asphalt shingles that had turned brittle and lost 25-50% of their protective granules, withstand 60 MPH steady winds w/ 100 MPH gusts and lose only some of their exposed tabs (cracked off). On the other hand I've seen shingles that had been attached with nails too short to penetrate the sheathing zipper off in one piece, and stapled shingles usually detach with all their staples still attached. Staples don't hold nearly as well as roofing nails, despite making making twice as many piercings in the sheathing and having a glue coating, and many municipalities in high-wind areas prohibit them. Insist that any replacement roof be installed by a factory authorized contractor and with 6 nails per shingle rather than the usual 4.
On Thu, 14 May 2009 22:53:22 -0700 (PDT), do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

crap should be outlawed.
Red wrote:

or installers fault. My builder shorted on nails and even though I had a one year warranty from him before shingles started blowing off, I had to sue him. Builders are skillful and hiding behind corporations and settlement brought no money.
Red wrote:

with the cheapest material, the roof should not fly off. Do you know who installed the roof? Product? I would start with a letter to the builder, certified mail (you'd be surprised .. it makes a difference), keeping it to the point and business-like. Indicate clearly the number of shingles coming off, the conditions, how they were nailed. If he doesn't get going and fix it, send a letter to the licensing authority.
In the shingles that have come off, how near the nailing line are the nail hole? Did they tear through the edge of the shingle or did the fasteners come off with them?

Sure you should demand a new roof. However getting it is another story. Some states have a new home warranty requirement that covers various significant defects for some number of years. Do you have one? You can make your demand to the builder, but your chances aren't good. You should also contact the manufacturer of the shingles. Your next alternatives are to take the builder to small claims court or to get enough other homeowners with the same problem to make it worthwhile to hire an attorney.
As someone else pointed out, if staples were used, they can be less reliable than nails. I saw this happen at a condo complex across from where I lived. In a heavy windstorm, our complex had minor shingle damage. The other place, they sustained major damage, with whole sections blown off. Theirs were stapled, ours were nailed.