Shorten AC power cord???????

Page 2 of 2

We have a winner here with the above statement. A fact I discovered after my initial post.
Now let's take a look at a couple of more statements,
<quote>AC cords are pretty thick, and there may not be room in the case, but you still may be able to stuff some of the cord back into the AC, especially if you take off the cover and can see where to put it. Then when you need it, you can just pull the cord out again. </quote>
The wire in question is rated at 66C. Tucked back into the unit, which is possible, right beside the compressor would exceed the safety rating of the cord and expose it to the external enjoinment in the winter. A good suggestion but one I have excluded for safety reasons before I posted.
Cutting the cord and patching with tape, even if soldered and staggered was never a serious consideration. Much too RV for this application. Have I mentioned that the purchase of duct tape should be a licensed event?
Thanks for the HF tip on the security bits. If I don't have an old straight blade I want to ruin in the basement I may trek over there and see if they have this one.
Guys it is the shielded nature of the wire that was my concern. Any idiot of average metal ability can shorten a cord and add a new plug to the end of it.
Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
Colbyt

but can they do a respectable,neat,SAFE job of redoing the insulation? Not many do.
Me,I use heatshrink tubing,not electrical tape,IF I do a splice..
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I don't follow.
The cord comes out of the AC near the compressor? I thought they all come out at the front because the electric outlets are indoors.
The cord would be more exposed to the exterior in the winter? Do you mean the little bit of cold air that could blow in through the closed fresh air duct?
Does it now dangle indoors or outdoors?

After reading these posts, I think your best option is to call a carpenter and have the window moved a little farther away from the recepticle.

Don't do it. Get some heavy plastic cable ties and tie the bundle up.

Colbyt wrote:

Hi, Of course you can shorten the cord. If original plug can't be reuse, then buy another one.
How about a couple of zip ties?
--
Steve Barker

"Colbyt" < snipped-for-privacy@-SPAMBLOCK-lexkyweb.com> wrote in message

After taking the plug end apart and finding circuit board with soldered connections, I came to like conclusion.
It is amazing and simple. If I wrap the cord around the unit once and secure it with neoprene straps the dangle is very minimal.
For those of you that think I am a complete idiot for wasting time on this I need to point out that the window is over the kitchen sink
Therefore a droopy cord might pose a severe hazard. Maybe I should have mentioned that in the first post.
Colbyt
So you blocked a perfectly good view while at the sink. And now you've got an A/C unit blowing in yer face whilst working at the sink?
--
Steve Barker

"Colbyt" < snipped-for-privacy@-SPAMBLOCK-lexkyweb.com> wrote in message

It just gets better and better.....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Actually I did just the opposite.
I replaced a failed doublepane window unit that had an AC blocking the view with a fixed AC unit OVER a new slider window which allows the for a view and a partial breeze on the good days.
Colbyt

Just hand it over to Sitre Magana and tell him it's a doughnut, and he'll eat the excess cord away down to any size you want.