When To Not Paint Anymore ?

Hello:

Based on your practical experiences, and irrespective of what's on the cans, what would be a prudent time of year to Not do any more outside painting on a house ?

I guess the answers should really be given in terms of daytime and nighttime temp's. (live in the Boston, Mass. area)

Paint would be Latex.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

My practical experience is that what's on the cans is a pretty good guideline.

From the Sherwin-Williams FAQ page:

Q. How late into fall should I paint outside? A. Although many painters have told me they stop painting outside when they can?t feel their fingers holding the brush, that?s not the best way to decide when to move inside. If you?re using low temperature paint (35°F), the air temperature should remain there or above for 48 hours after painting. Most latex paints needs to be above 50° F at the time of application and should remain there for three to four hours so the latex film will form properly. Oil-based products can be used at temperatures as low as 50° F, as long as there is sufficient time for it to dry before dew begins to form on the surface. Always check the application temperature recommendations listed on the product; and remember that they refer to surface, material and air temperature.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What does your latex paint can say as to temps for painting?

That is what we use.

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

Early fall is a great time to paint - little rain, moderate temps. It is too late, IMO, when weather might freeze before the paint cures (not just dry). It should be at least three days since most recent rain, just so if there is bare wood it has time to dry. Always scrape, prep, have clean and well primed base.

Reply to
Norminn

I'm about 60 miles from you. I'd paint well into November, but do keep an eye on the forecasts. Paint dries slower in the cold and you want it to be dry before freezing temperatures. Personally, I like to be done with outside work by the time the temperature is getting down to 50 or so. As I get older, I try to keep outside projects to two weeks in May and two in September.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski