short countertop question

My house is smaller then the rest on our street and the previous owner was elderly so the height of the countertops seems to be a few inches shorter then most. Right now I'm putting down tile on the floor so after the subfloor and tile is down, the countertop height is even lower.
We plan on removing the countertops to have them a different color. A handyman here at work said a layer of plywood could be put down under the countertop to raise it a bit. That would help but im looking for a few inches and have it not look ugly. Maybe have some type of design be a border around the part thats been raised up.
Any ideas would be great.
Mike

I would build up the existing base cabnets using 2x3s then cover the exposed new wood with wood casement molding of which you have many choices ( a simple 3/8" x 4" birch or poplar board with edges eased with a router would look fine and will take a range of finishes). Make sure you still have plenty of clearance to the bottom of the wall cabnets. Make sure the overhang and lip of the new counter blends well with the trim and finish you choose.

was
shorter
the
exposed
would
you
What he said. If you are disturbing the floors and the kick spaces anyway, this is the ideal time to either jack up or replace the existing base cabinets. A 2x3 space frame with a 4" hardwood trim board would look fine, and not really cost much, other than labor to pull and reinstall the cabinets.
aem sends...

How many is "a few"? And can you get a layer of drawers put in?