shop light installation

I would like to hang a few 4 foot fluorescent shop lights. Preferred hanger would be 1/2" conduit, vertical, of course. Is there a conduit fitting available that can take the weight of the fixture (2 conduits each holding half a fixture). I know that some of the old timers had 1/2" conduit fittings that could be crimped on. All I can find today for conduit fittings is the simple sleeve with the set screw. Afraid it might pull loose. Would like to go conduit instead of chain due to the cost of chain. Conduit is VERY inexpensive compared to other alternatives. Maybe I can get enough bite to put 1/2" NPT threads on the conduit???

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

That little tiny chain is only about $4 for a hundred feet at walmart.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Use the down rods they sell for ceiling fans. They already have threaded ends and are rated to carry a load.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hint, most all 4 foot units you will find will be cheaply made. Consider the 8 foot jobs and buy quality. All the cheap ones have problems of noise, less efficiency, lamp life, cold temperature operation, short ballast life, etc..

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph is right. I have some cheap ones in my garage and now that the weather is cold the buzzing is enough to drive you bonkers and they come on dim until they warm up.

Reply to
RayV

Thanks for the suggestions. In my history (working at gas stations 40 plus years ago) the 8 foot fixtures were the one's that always buzzed. Maybe things have changed. I was thinking of buying the 4 foot T-11, or whatever, higher end fixtures. Comments on above encouraged and appreciated. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I had a set of the cheap fluorescent ballasts that you would get from Lowes or anywhere in else in my kitchen and garage for 24 years. I just had to replace both of them last weekend. They go for $20 a piece a Lowes for a 4' frame + ballast. YMMV

Reply to
Brian

Lowe's sells the 4' T-12 for 19.99 a piece. No buzzing or humming. Startup fast..

Reply to
Brian

I have replaced more 8 footers than 4 footers, and ballasts also. The 4 footers are cost effective and you don't need a truck to buy bulbs.

no flourescents appreciate the cold.

I have about 18 quad four footers at work, and replaced about 2/3 of the bulbs in 2003, and have about 6 or 8 bad bulbs right now, and I'll bet they are the ones wehre I ran out of bulbs.

My garage at home has 9 lowe's 4 footers and they have wierd thing. If you are standing there after you turn out the lights in the pitch dark, you will see some of the fixtures flash about 5 or more seconds after you turn the lights out.

my previous shop I had 10 sears 4 footers, circa 1988, and replaced the bulbs for dimness after ~ten years, with no failures.

Reply to
yourname

Who sells cheap T-8s?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I believe that I saw T-8 frame + ballast for $24,88 at Lowes last weekend.

Reply to
Brian

The cheap ones, even the 8 foot cheap ones still buzz.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Regardless of what size tube (4 or 8 foot), get lights with _electronic_ ballasts, generally found in fixtures that use the smaller diameter T-8 lamp.

Electronic ballasts are less likely to buzz (tho' the cheap ones at Home Cheapo do buzz) and they don't flicker because the operating frequency is so high.

Reply to
Bob M.

The cheap T-12 4' frame + ballast is an ESB. No buzzing :) Only 19.99.. I swear by them. Lasted me 24 years ... no joke

Reply to
Brian

Thus spake Ivan Vegvary:

Common sense and electrical building code would suggest that it's not safe to have conduit carry the load. Conduit is strictly for protecting the wires and, sometimes, providing a ground path.

Use chain or down-rods, as suggested by others. Once hung, use flexible, armored cable for electric supply.

Reply to
DaveC

Certainly better but does he really mean conduit or is he referring to EMT? If conduit (the thickness of water pipe but not water pipe) I can't see why it wouldn't be adequate. Another alternative is to use tubing specifically designed for the purpose. Google "Grand Brass" for lots of choices. Or, if you don't like that use ceiling-fan support tubing which would be easier to obtain.

Reply to
YouDontNeedToKnow

I bought a pair of 4 foot shop lights a few years ago at Home Depot with electronic ballast that don't make a sound, are plenty efficient, excellent lamp life, and no problems in sub-zero temps. They are also instant on, which is kind of nice. I bought these to replace the old, buzzy, summer only units I had in my garage. I replaced the tubes in those twice a year.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan