Shiplap and suggestions

I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

I have to replace some 4x4s under some shiplap.

I couldn't find any shiplap at Loews and will be checking elsewhere.

The shiplap has some kind of concrete-like tiles over it that is in good shape.

They are about about 12 x 16 inches long each.

I will also have to replace some sections of shiplap. I did that to another customer's house and found it to be very time consuming.

I am looking for suggestions on making it easier or some other alternative.

Thanks.

Reply to
Raleigh_3_Speed

Joe

IIRC Hardiplank or one of those 'cementacious' (sp?) siding companies has a same-size product for old work. May be special order, unless there is a lot of it in place in the town you live in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Joe wrote: ...

That's no help whatsoever for asbestos-tile siding already in place--there's no hazard there whatsoever. It would only be a problem if were cutting it and it was designed to be sheared, not cut...

--

Reply to
dpb

"Fixing to do"?

Either you're fixing your mother's garage or you're going to do repairs on your mother's garage, or you're going to repair your mother's garage. There is no verb, nor any other part of speech, called "fixing to do". From which backwater of America do you hail? Yikes!

-snip-

Open your mind-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yeah, right. Around here the local trash say add "take and" in front of words instead of "fixing", as in "I'm gonna take and put that over there" when they are already holding the item. No you're not. You're going to put that over there, you've already taken it. My favorite is "take and do", as in "I'm gonna take and do that report after lunch". Huh? It's not even close to English.

The siding was pretty tricky getting off.

I used a circular saw and and cut down the center of a stud to remove the shiplap and leave an area to nail in the new siding.

Even though the end of the garage is the only bad area, I may remove all of the tiles and paint with a high quality paint.

The roof needs replacing and the installation of guttering.

Andy

Reply to
Raleigh_3_Speed