Shallow well far from the garden: Pump location question

Page 2 of 2
Jeannot wrote:

It is a 'check valve'. Keeps the water from draining back out of the pipe once the pump is primed. Goes right on the end of the suction hose. It is a mandatory item for any well system. Subersibles have it as part of the pump.
Harry K
Thanks, I think I have everything I need to proceed.
Last question though: I was planning on 1" piping, would you recommend bigger to go down the well? The pump has a 1" inlet.
Jeannot wrote:

No, if the pump has a 1" inlet, that is what it was designed for on the suck line. I can't see any benefit to going larger. On the delivery side you do gain over long distances by going to bigger pipe, less loss to pipe friction...hmmm, I forgot that you have a long way to 'suck' (thinking...). Afraid I can't answer that, bigger pipe might cause priming problems but then I still think it won't self prime anyhow.
Please get back afteryou try it and let us know if it did prime.
Harry K
Thats not a bad idea make sure the pump is housed priming the line once as long as you dont have to keep disconnecting will run fine I have used these pumps for 20 tears as a farmer we run a 1/3hp to the house it pulls from our spring to the basement and supplys the house