Shady real estate agent

Last week I posted about a house with a mold problem. The house was listed as "Active and Available". I contacted my agent to arrange a viewing, although I have significant interest just by looking at the different pictures and a drive by, the price is very reasonable too.
My agent was trying to contact the LA, and the LA said he is busy and can't show it until a few days later. After a few days, no call back, and when contacted says have to wait over the weekend. When we finally called over the weekend, the LA said the property has a serious mold problem and will cost like $20000 to fix, that the house was already sold but the buyer backed out because of the mold problem. We were a little shocked and thought about backing away, but then I thought I still want to see it and if it's just replacing drywalls and carpets it's not such a big deal. I had my agent called again and this time, the agent said the property has just been sold, the seller reduced the price and the original buyer will be getting the house. Oh well we will have to move on. Today my agent called me and told me she found out the "buyer" of this house IS THE Listing Agent and that he is planning to sell as soon as it closes (told my agent he will be happy to show it to us as soon as it closes in December). Isn't this a conflict of interest? How can the LA recommend a price and then buy the property himself (probably at a discount?) then get an inspection that reveals serious mold problem to get the seller to lower the price, and even back off on the contract to put it on the market again to pressure the seller, knowing all this time he can block or discourage other interested parties without the knowledge of the seller, and finally getting a price reduction, and then probably his own commission, with the intention to flip? If he thinks he can flip right the way, and make a profit, doesn't it mean the seller is pricing it low, and shouldn't he be expected to inform/advise the seller what the fair market value is? I am just real pissed off to run into shady deals like this. Any advise? Should I just move on or is there a way to still get this house given the situation?
MC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"miamicuse" wrote

listed
can't
if
my
been
off
reduction,
the
into
File a complaint with your state's commission. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=real+estate+license+complaint&btnG=Search
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

when
over
will
and
had
getting
and
of
parties
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=real+estate+license+complaint&btnG=Search
State is Florida. Not sure if this is against the rules or just unethical?
MC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What they are doing sounds unethical but might not be against the rules. They probably have some lawyer friends that can spin the rules in their favor if anything went sour.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Basically the same thing happened to me here in Ohio on three occasions with homes that we wanted to purchase. You might as well move on because the bottom line is someone else got it and you diddn't. The time and cost associated to make it right to settle "principle" of this deal is something that you have to decide if it is worth messing with.
Larry

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

From my daughters experience: IF they have the moral principles to do that, they have the moral principles to lie. IF you chose to file a complaint just have an airtight case because they wil lie lie lie. And they will have the paid witnesses to prove they are right. Sometimes its just best to treat it as a learning experience and move on.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

with
something
What I am wondering is, is there may be a mechanism I can propose to the agent to "buy" his contract?
He is not planning to keep the property, we know that. It appears he is not planning to remodel it then sell it at a much higher price, we know that too. Interest rate will go up further by December, very likely. He may have to wait a while to sell it, if market cools off. He has to pay closing cost and fees for this transaction.
So, it seems like, for the right "profit" he should be receptive to transfer the contract to me instead...but I don't know if there is such a thing, my wife REALLY likes this house and I want to do everything possible to get it for her, including dealing with this creep (I will deflat his tires later LOL). But how would one go about structuring something like that? Any idea?
MC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
message

the rules or just unethical?

I'm pretty sure that FL has rules about 'flipping" a house. Like you have to own it for a year before you can sell it for a profit. Something to look into.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
This kind of stuff seems so common and it's sad that we don't think it's a big deal. Find the seller and tell the seller. Call the local real estate governing body to get more info. Talk to a lawyer who does litigation specifically in the area of real estate and try to get some insight.
The agent stole from you, your time, energy and right to trust others in business. The agent in essence stole from the seller what amounts to several thousand dollars. If you steal a can of food cause you're hungry or worse have a drug addiction you get handcuffed and likely serve time. But if you wear a suit and tie and steal thousands, it is normal.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:42:59 -0400, "miamicuse"

This probably happens more often than we know.
I had 2 apartment buildings. One was ready to show. I was still sprucing up the other one. Listed the first one with an agent who belonged to my wife's sewing club. She didn't put a sign out front. (Don't want to alarm the residents, you know) One small three-day ad in the paper. Rocks on for about a month. She has had only one enquiry. Finally got an offer from them for 10 percent less than our asking price. We decided we would accept that if there was no more interest by a certain date..
On that date, I was working at the other building next door. An agent stopped and asked if I knew who owned the building next door. When I told him I did, he said he had called the listing agent numerous times and no on would return his calls.
Within an hour, I had called my attorney, canceled the acceptance of the other offer and sold it for asking price. I later sold him the other building as well.
It turns out, the only "interested party" was her son. She made more commission on that building because I sold it for more but she didn't make a nickel on the other one.
I wanted to nail her hide to the wall but my wife preferred not to.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.