Seven most outrageous HOA rules

Page 4 of 5

I would, if mine was dirty. Machine wash warm, non-bleach laundry stuff. Clothes line dry.
I'd also (respectfully) cut up and burn a flag, if it was beyond useful life. Lot of things are proper, if done with respect. I think it's the American Legion, that has flag disposal for worn out flags. I remember from some where, they burn the old ones. With respect, of course.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Most VFWs will also take worn out flags. I had one get caught in a bad windstorm and tore up pretty badly. Took it the local VFW for disposal, they said they had a couple of members who could sew it up and would I be upset if they just repaired and gave it to a Vet who was not really able to buy one on his own. I said "sure"... and then went to the nearest WalMart and bought ten new ones and gave them to the Post.
and name it after the IRS.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:43:34 -0700, Smitty Two

Not mine. http://www.annin.com/about.asp
Jim

That's nothing. Some people in cults cut up and burn their own underwear in ceremonies............... All while doing the secret salute, mind you.
Steve

We have a very nice cotton flag that was made in the USA. It has a letter with it that it was flown on July 4th, 1976 over the White House. The letter is autosigned by (ugh) Jimmy Carter. We are going to donate it to our church when they finish their new building, having it put in a glass display frame first, and with the letter on display. I hate to see it leave our house, but I'd like a lot of people to see it, and right now, it's sleeping in a safe.
Steve
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That is why I asked...I'm aware that AL will retire old flags. Those we donated were pretty expensive, with embroidered stars, so did not want to burn them if they could be cleaned and used again.

Don't the stars always go up, except when hoisted upside down as a sign of distress? Doesn't the wind determine which way the stars point?
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

If not on a flagpole, but displayed against a building, then the field of stars should be to the left as viewed. If hanging on another means, then the stars are to be toward the north or ...east? Can't remember.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:21:22 -0700, "Steve B"

U.S. Code
TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > 7
Position and manner of display
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/4/usc_sec_04_00000007----000-.html
8. Respect for flag
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/4/usc_sec_04_00000008----000-.html
Found this about HOA's *
FREEDOM TO DISPLAY THE AMERICAN FLAG Pub. L. 109-243, July 24, 2006, 120 Stat. 572, provided that:
"SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE. "This Act may be cited as the 'Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005'.
"SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS. "For purposes of this Act - "(1) the term 'flag of the United States' has the meaning given the term 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign' under section 3 of title 4, United States Code; "(2) the terms 'condominium association' and 'cooperative association' have the meanings given such terms under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603); "(3) the term 'residential real estate management association' has the meaning given such term under section 528 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 528); and "(4) the term 'member' - "(A) as used with respect to a condominium association, means an owner of a condominium unit (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; "(B) as used with respect to a cooperative association, means a cooperative unit owner (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; and "(C) as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.
"SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES. "A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.
"SEC. 4. LIMITATIONS. "Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with - "(1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or "(2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association."
-End-
http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/04C1.txt

Thank you. What does that mean in English? Doesn't the wind determine which way the stars point?
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:50:49 -0700, "Steve B"

Not on a casket or hung over a street.
"On a casket, the union (blue field) should be at the deceased persons head and heart, over the left shoulder."
"When the U.S. flag is displayed other than from a staff, it should be displayed flat, or suspended so that its folds fall free. When displayed over a street, place the union so it faces north or east, depending upon the direction of the street."
http://www1.va.gov/opa/publications/celebrate/flagdisplay.pdf

re: "On a casket, the union (blue field) should be at the deceased persons head and heart, over the left shoulder."
This is either redundant or impossible.
For the vast majority of us, it's redundant since the "at the deceased persons head and heart" would place the union in the same location as "over the left shoulder".
However, for those with Dextrocardia, where the heart is on the right side of the body, you can't meet both of those criteria.
I've seen other sites that simply say: "at the deceased persons head, over the left shoulder" with no mention of the heart.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:43:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Interesting. I was not aware of this condition.

Males sense to me.

At parades, I have seen them hung with the stripes both horizontal and vertical on cables that cross the street.
Steve

On the Confederate Battle Flag (the Stars and Bars), the flag is symmetrical up/down except for the direction the top of the stars point. Correctly displayed on the front of a pickup truck, the stars should have their single point to the top. This is not to be taken lightly. In his "Memoirs of a Confederate General," non other than General Robert E. Lee in 1866, decreed that henceforth, all pickup trucks driven in the South should have the Battle Flag on their front bumper and a similar decal in their rear window.
Back where I grew up, a pickup truck with the Stars and Bars on the front bumper was proved to cause people to cross a crosswalk 3X as fast as if the pickup had no such adornment. <grin>
Micajah

Better sample: On a flag pole, the field must point into the wind. ;-)
Other than that, yes, field to the upper-left unless it can be seen from both sides, else to the North or East.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:53:00 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I think the north and east pointed direction is that the union points towards the Capitol.
--
These men tried to hang me. They have been killed for it. -- Judge Roy
Bean.

Nope. North or East, even in Maine (or Moscow).
-snip-

If the HOA was formed after they bought their house & they are still subject to its rules, then I've got sympathy. Otherwise, I don't care if they've got a dozen MOH's- rules is rules, even when they're stupid.
Jim

http://theweek.com/article/index/104150/top-7-insane-homeowners-association-rules
There is nothing wrong with a HOA having rules and enforcing them. People who are purchasing in a deed restricted community should read the rules and accept them BEFORE they buy or buy elsewhere if they are unwilling to abide by the rules.
Now I will agree that a couple of those 7 in the initial post, link, would have been "deal killers" for me.
--
Colbyt