Seven most outrageous HOA rules

I was born in New Orleans. Love the town, HATE the heat. Wouldn't live south of the Mason-Dixon now if you paid me. Hell, after this summer, Canada is looking good! Only 3 hours north...

Chuckle. I in Michigan. I only go to Louisiana in December now. I've been there in summer- didn't care for it. Don't care for MI winters either. When retirement comes, I'm gonna either have to buy a place somewhere where there is a happy medium, or become a snowbird.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Happens all the time. I've seen it. It took hours to transfer a dead prisoner before the morning breakfast feast.

Lt: "Call the Warden, call the Captain, dial the speed dial or some such.

Reply to
Oren

I saw it and I stand by my statement, you either get the information up front before signing or you have only yourself to blame. There are no acceptable extenuating circumstances that can warrant making a commitment of that magnatude without ALL of the information.

Reply to
BobR

Heh. I don't think there is any one place with a decent climate. Probably need more than two for climate perfections. When my 'Rents retired to Chapel Hill, NC in the early 80s, they loved it. By the time my dad died in the late 90s, the heat was so bad that my mom was a prisoner inside the house for 9 months a year. So...of all bizarre things, she decided to move back UP HERE, to "cold/snowville" for 9 months a year. Except...yeah, it's not 60 degrees or anything, but it's nowhere near as cold or as snowy here as it "used to be", and she can walk outside for 8 months of the year. That's all she really wants, and at 86, she should get what she wants! Especially in her retirement "cottage" where they mow all the grass, plow all the macadam, and there is "staff" in the dining room! Plus, she has a garage, so she doesn't have to clear off the car when she wants to go out!

DH and I? We're planning on getting a giant RV and buying a "lot" or "space" on the coast in Belize. Decided that years ago. Very annoyed that, apparently, EVERYone has been told to retire there. Then, again, the places we liked were not exactly "luxe" accommodations. Drive the RV in, hook-up, walk 20 feet down the beach into the surf, and you're snorkeling on the reef in 10 seconds. Hurricane coming? Drive your RV away. Not "luxe", but simple, easy, and safe. My favorite town/village/settlement had a great cafe with NYC cheesecake flown in twice a week, too! I'm sure that the "yuppies" will have killed that place long before DH and I are ready, but we have many years yet, and things change.

He's only 42 and doesn't plan to retire until 70, so I'll be well into my

80s by then...so glad I'm self-employed :)

My community organization contracts with the Constable's office to provide 'round the clock patrol. If something bad goes down, they hold the perp and turn him over to the local police. Their main jobs are to "cruise and be seen," and to hassle hippies.

In my state, constables are the law enforcement arm of the justice courts. They act as bailiffs and serve civil papers (evictions, subpoenas, divorce service, etc.). Since they are official LEOs, a cottage industry has grown up contracting with the constable for dedicated neighborhood police protection.

Reply to
HeyBub

Better sample: On a flag pole, the field must point into the wind. ;-)

Other than that, yes, field to the upper-left unless it can be seen from both sides, else to the North or East.

Reply to
krw

They shouldn't have closed. I told my realtor to get me a copy of them before closing. She tried to minimize the issue but I held firm. turns out there was nothing in there I didn't like (other than the builder "owns" the HOA until the last property is sold and a few really silly things).

Reply to
krw

I think the north and east pointed direction is that the union points towards the Capitol.

Reply to
Oren

Nope. North or East, even in Maine (or Moscow).

Reply to
krw

Sorry, you're the douchebag. You bought into an HOA (seriously? no sane person does that) and you don't understand where and/or when to use apostrophes. So..YOU LOSE. Replonk. And STOP climbing out of the bozo bin LOSER! Bloody hell!

Reply to
tmclone

You did notice I said "I would next time."

I was fortunate because I was in the position of needing the NA's help rather than being on the other end. When I did finally read the contract I didn't see anything I would have objected to. It was just common sense stuff like mow your yard and no broken down cars in the street, etc... My problem was with a neighbors outdoor 12" speakers blasting at 2:00 am. Sure enough there was a "no outdoor speaker" clause. One threat of a lawsuit and the speakers were gone.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

passsurgery.com

re: "I saw it and I stand by my statement,..."

Ah...then you missed my point.

re: "...you either get the information up front before signing or you have only yourself to blame."

Nothing I said removes the blame from the buyer nor did I ever intend to. I was not making excuses for them; I was simply stating a fact of life.

It was implied that they never should have closed without obtaining the HOA rules and I countered with "maybe they *had* to close for reasons unknown to us."

It's easy to watch from afar and say "They never should have closed" when for all we know they knew the possible consequences of closing without seeing the rules but circumstances forced them to close anyway.

"Dad's on his death bed, Mom's got Alzheimer's and they need us nearby

*now*. Screw protocol and screw what the CC&R says, we'll live with whatever the HOA throws at us."
Reply to
DerbyDad03

wrote

I'd choose the pit bulls in the shacks over the pit bulls in charge of an HOA

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Maybe, but making the biggest purchase of your life, I'd take the extra time. If the HOA can't produce a copy inside of an hour, I'd pack my bags out of there.

There was mention of this happening in the past too. IMO, the HOA rules should be up front and something to brag about, not to hide in shame.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On the Confederate Battle Flag (the Stars and Bars), the flag is symmetrical up/down except for the direction the top of the stars point. Correctly displayed on the front of a pickup truck, the stars should have their single point to the top. This is not to be taken lightly. In his "Memoirs of a Confederate General," non other than General Robert E. Lee in 1866, decreed that henceforth, all pickup trucks driven in the South should have the Battle Flag on their front bumper and a similar decal in their rear window.

Back where I grew up, a pickup truck with the Stars and Bars on the front bumper was proved to cause people to cross a crosswalk 3X as fast as if the pickup had no such adornment.

Micajah

Reply to
Micajah

bypasssurgery.com

No, I got your point but I am sick of watching everyone make excuses for all the bad decisions that people are making and then expecting someone else to make it right for them.

Is it possible that there were circumstances which forced them to make a stupid and uninformed decision?...yes it is possible but very unlikely. More like they took one look at the place, saw some feature they thought they just couldn't live without and yelled "DAMN THE TORPEDOES ... FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

Then they will have to live with the results and keep their mouths shut.

Reply to
BobR

I lived in a subdivision with a HOA for thirty years and it worked out great but I had obtained a copy of the HOA rules BEFORE I put down the down payment to have the house build. There was NEVER any doubt that would get and study the rules before I put money into the home. I had numerous occasions to work with the HOA over those 30 years and have nothing but good experiences. The reason was simple, the rules were well thought out to protect the property values, provide needed services, and still allow the freedom to express your personality with your home.

I have several friends who haven't had the same experience and every one of them failed to get a copy of the HOA rules before making their purchase. Almost all of them would not have purchased had they even done a quick scan of their HOA Rules. One HOA had totally defined every single aspect of the exterior landscaping down to what plants could be planted and where. Another HOA had rules against even having a RV parked anywhere for more than 8 hours. They also restricted any boats or other recreational items from being on the property. You couldn't even keep a boat in your garage. The friend who bought there couldn't even have their parents come to visit because they traveled in an RV. He also didn't read the HOA rules until after he moved in. What made it even worse was after several issues with the HOA he decided to sell and move. Its been over two years and he can't find anyone who wants to live in that neighborhood.

Not getting a copy of the HOA rules and reading them top to bottom is about like buying a house and not looking out the back window and seeing the sewer plant.

Reply to
BobR

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:01:08 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote Re Re: Seven most outrageous HOA rules:

Well put.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

e:

bgbypasssurgery.com

re: " Then they will have to live with the results and keep their mouths shut"

Exactly.

However, I gotta ask...Are you following the same thread that I am?

This arc of the discussion started with a simple statement by Steve B.

Somebody he knows bought a unit without getting a copy of the rules. That's all he said.

Nowhere do I see anything about people complaining or "making excuses for their own mistakes".

What did you read that made you say "Then they will have to live with the results and keep their mouths shut."?

As I said earlier "for all we know they knew the possible consequences of closing without seeing the rules" and are now happily (or perhaps unhappily) living within those rules with nary a complaint.

You are jumping on them (and anryone else who may have done it) without knowing any the facts of this (or any other) situation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03