Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

Page 2 of 2

SteveB wrote:

Did he buy it?

So you can supply the shops number and techs name and a reciept that "opened it up" and verified its great and new. Because why would a shop open it and ruin the gaskets. You are in "an interesting position of trying to sell" Thats suspicious by how you have stated it.

It seems a lot of people here are acting suspicious of his description. He doesn't seem to be trying to sell it here,but instead asking the advice of people here as to how he can go about selling at the best price possible while remaining honest.
I have little doubt about the veracity of his statements. I might have more doubts if this *were* a Craigslist ad.
Give it for free to someone who is down and out that can make a buck with it. You will feel good. Remember, you forgot all about it.
Thomas.

I promise you this. If you get rid of it, you will need it within a week. Happens to me every time.
Steve

I got a new Husky 345 for $237 online from Norwalk Power Equipment Company. Lots of stores wanted a hundred bucks more than that. Check your online competition before fixing the price it's "worth new".
Steve

It seems to be some people's fallacy that because they paid 'X' dollars for something and it hasn't had much, if any, use, it will retain a certain percentage of value based on what it originally cost!
Not so! Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Along with an obligation on the part of the seller to tell the truth and the whole truth about the item.
An unused or even a used item can be worth very little/virtually nothing. Examples abound.
Or be very desirable perhaps to a few or very limited market. Examples ........
For sale; used, medium-low mileage 1956 Ford, very collectible. And probably valuable well beyond any original cost although well used.
For offers; little used almost brand new volume set of Encyclopedia Americana 1990s edition. Original cost over $500. No offers, although item in perfect condition (some of the pages were still stuck together from printing) it's outdated reference material in this age. Unless one is book collector?
For sale, vacant building lot New Orleans, original house removed due to storm damage! Risky buy eh?
Old style (cathode ray tube) stereo-sound TV set. Original cost three years ago over $800, selling because wife gave me a new flat screen digital capable set to watch football. Make an offer! He got IIRC less than $50.
A few year old high quality ViewSonic 19 inch monitor, am using it right now. Got it for $35 because everybody, banks, offices, homes converting to LCD flat screens.
Be lucky for an older style, although unused but long stored, power tool to get more than say $150 for it. If I was not too far away (shipping cost) I might chance say $100, since it is a Husky!
Long expired warranty and parts availability for it? And it doesn't happen to be one of those that must use leaded gas???? And or certain 'additives' with unleaded gas?
I love getting old things going again. And then boasting about recycling and reuse blah, blah, blah etc.
But, depending on how much use I might make of it and not wanting to waste my time; if really needing a chainsaw, go out and buy new!
terry

[...]
And exactly to what you say. But I use the general rule of thumb that if it's a day old, it's used, and going rate is 50% IF in real good condition. I see yard sales where there's something that's worth $100 and they want $10. And reverse.
I got a real deal from Norwalk with free shipping, and since you can compare exact model #'s knew I was getting it for about $100 cheaper than locally. Of course, I got the oil, spare chains, the hat, etc, etc, etc, where they made big bucks .................
Steve
[...]

Circa 1980, I was looking for a set of encyclopedias and constrained by my budget to buy used. Phoned about an ad that didn't list the year of publication. Seller told me "1942". Couldn't understand why I wasn't interested -- "but they're in excellent condition" she protested. Well, you see, it's the information in them -- they won't have anything about space travel, computers, or nuclear energy, I told her. "Why not?" DUH!!
stan wrote:

years is worth a big drop in price. Makes negotiating a problem with them. I plan to be up front about it. I have no idea when the model went to the next version.
SteveB wrote:

there may be comparable sales.

You may misunderstand. Most mechanical components of a chainsaw are speedily exposed to view and show how much wear they have had. Rubber components also indicate their age. You do not need to protect buyers with the experience to recognize these signs.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

YES, YOU DO! If you do NOT do things to protect the buyers, including providing a full written notarized disclosure statement US DRKE - 33987/43.93 Mod 7/3/1a, you can be fined $5,000 and be held in prison for up to five years. Read it. It's there.
Steve ;-)