Self-limiting heat tape???

Anybody have distributor source for self-limiting heat tape of the trim-to-length variety?

All been able to find locally include thermostats, etc., making them quite pricey ( > $20 ea) as compared to simple "old style" tapes.

All searches have found only manufacturer's sites w/ not much (as in none) success for distributors other than dedicated industrial application engineering firms, etc.

--

Reply to
dpb

Call them on the phone and ask who distributes in your area.

Reply to
mm

Dig around on the Frostex site:

The stuff used to be available at various retail outlets. It is not the cheapest product, but was developed by the company that invented self limited heat tracing. Yeah, I worked for them many many years ago. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

site:

Wish I could find one of those outlets remotely close... :(

Unfortunately, "used to be" seems the operative word these days--at least here. All there is is some over-priced bubble-pack consumer- grade stuff in the Ace chain stores.

The Raychem/Frostex site is one of those I had looked at w/ only manufacturer's rep's as contacts. It's their product Grainger has listed, only in the 100-ft roll and up.

Thanks for the input...

--

Reply to
dpb

When I was working with a refrrigeration company (until 1996) we used that product on the drain lines inside walk-in freezers. It was so superior to regular plastic covered heat tapes that there was really no comparison. Back then, several A/C-refrigeration supply houses here had it and sold it by the foot, although the price/ft was about twice as much as buying it by the roll. Try one of them if you have any near. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

*Try calling some electrical supply companies. I seem to recall that some of them sell the stuff.
Reply to
John Grabowski

On Dec 28, 9:49 am, "John Grabowski" wrote: ...

John (and Larry)...yeah, I'll check w/ the various local distributors Monday.

This one failed Christmas Eve day ahead of a real cold snap and they've all been closed over the rest of the week here. The farm outlet I normally use has really gone down hill over the years and isn't what it once was w/ their hardware now an Ace affiliate and the bulk of the farm-specific stuff pared down to just a few basics. That, unfortunately, is the side effect of the change in economics where the bigger operations have started buying direct and there aren't the number of individual mid-size producers any longer there once were.

Anyway, since I struck out there I had figured it wouldn't be but a sec to find an online distributor and get a couple kits of moderately small size on the way w/o spending a bunch. Was (unpleasantly) surprised to find the stuff isn't as readily available as I recalled from (many) years ago, nor as cheap...

I've taken one of the heat lamps from the farrowing house in the interim to make sure the feed line to the float doesn't freeze. It's not as convenient but does the job and beats chancing having to replace a valve/line this time of year...

Reply to
dpb