See if you can put some political spin on this story...

Page 1 of 2
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-news/detroit-man-walks-21-miles-work-each-day/nj3Yz/
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Living in Detroit, I can't imagine his mortgage being high, therefore, I also can't imagine why he couldn't buy a car, even if it's an older beat up one.
I don't want to take any credit or sympathy away from this guy, but raising $86,000 for a guy who isn't managing his money very well is an example of how society functions. How about raising that type of money for the homeless or the handicap or those who cannot earn a living.
I guess if I want a free car I would have to walk to work every day. Unfortunately, I don't want to wait ten years.
On 2/3/2015 6:07 AM, Meanie wrote:

You can't be serious. At $10.50 an hour I doubt he owns a house.

Strong statement..You may be right, but $400 a week does not cover very much. I'd like to see your budget to live on that wage, including car insurance where the rates are some of the highest in the country.
An option not presented yet is to move closer to work, if possible. I'd like to know the real story.
On 02/03/2015 09:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Detroit is so depressed that you can get houses there for next to nothing. I bet that half the houses are under $16K
However the story is fake. Nothing adds up.
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:09:37 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

CBS news covered this last night. They had an interview with the guy. He seemed genuine and credible. Not saying that means he is. They showed the plastics factory where he has worked for a long time. He takes the bus part way, then walks. At night, because there is limited bus service, he has to walk farther. So, IDK. It seems very strange and you would think there would be other options. I guess there will be, the crowd funding thing has raised $250K.
On 02/04/2015 08:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:

For all I know, maybe he does walk to work every day but how can the claim of a 20 mile round trip be valid it the two localities are less than five miles apart?
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:41:04 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

What two localities? From what I see, he lives at Woodward Ave, Detroit. He works at Schain Mold, in Troy. By Google Maps, that's 19 -21 miles one way.
On 02/04/2015 08:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You are right, When I first read the article I thought he walked from Troy to Rochester Hills and upon re-reading it see that was the bus route...so I'll be darned...that part of the story adds up.
OTOH: It still does not add up because it also said he only gets a few hours of sleep and though the walk is a long one that still leaves almost half a day of "off time"
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:57:11 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

In the CBS story they gave more info. Not sure I have it exactly, but it went something like this. He works from 2PM until 10PM. He leaves the house at like 8AM, takes the bus, then walks. At night, because of a limited bus schedule, he has to walk a lot farther. I think they said he gets off the bus at 1AM, then has to walk. So, IDK exactly how much time is left, I agree it sounds like it should be a lot more than 2 hours though.
On 02/04/2015 09:43 AM, trader_4 wrote: X

The more I look at this the more I think my initial judgment was wrong...
could be a true story after all
On 2/4/2015 10:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Why hasn't Obama issued EO, so they change the bus route, and take the guy?

1. walk to work = 5 hours at a brisk pace, 4 hours quite fast, 3 hours 40 minutes at double time
2. work eight hours
3. walk home, same as #1
At the best he would have around 8.5 ours free time; at the more realistic "brisk pace" he would have 6 hours. Presumably, he would use that to sleep.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 02/04/2015 09:09 AM, philo wrote:

Yah, the most incredulous part is that he can walk down the street after dark and not get mugged by one of Detroit's finest.
On 2/3/2015 10:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Own or rent is cheap. Houses sell for under $20,000 in Detroit. Renters often pay $200 a month and if it's more, they get roommates.

If he can't afford a car, how about a bike. Seriously, how the hell did he not think of a bike?
Here's the final tip off to bullshit. The Smart Bus line runs up and down Woodward every day. Stops begin at the heart of downtown at the Renaissance Center/GM headquarters and extend northbound every several blocks. Specifically, bus line 475 begins at Woodward and Beaubien, which is right on the river behind the RC. IF he lives farther north, there are plenty of stops to wait. The 475 route extends northbound to Troy Civic Center P&R, which is 5 miles direct south of his employer. Smart buses allow bikes and in fact, have racks on the front of the buses to strap a bike in. Therefore, whether walking or riding, he can catch a bus along Woodward up to 5 miles from work. Even a taxi ride would be worth it.
What's more puzzling is why doesn't a co-worker help him and pick up at the Troy CC? Then take him back or somewhere along the bus route until the co-worker has to go his/her way after work?
It was mentioned the boss's wife cooks him dinner. Seriously? After ten years the only nice thing a boss can do is allow his wife to cook him dinner knowing he's "supposedly" walking to work every day?
The entire story has more holes than a colander and IMO, is pure bullshit. $250,000 raised for a guy who isn't bright enough to manage his own finances, purchase a bike or consider other employment when that money could be better used for much needier people.
People are gullible idiots.
On 02/04/2015 04:19 PM, Meanie wrote:

Here in my town, the buses even have carriers on the front for bicycles.
No matter how broke the guy is bikes can be picked up cheaply... even if occasionally someone would steal it, can you imagine how much the guy would have to spend for shoes if he really walked than much?

Reminds me of when I got home from 4 yrs in the service. Didn't have much $$, so I paid $15 for a trashed one speed 10-speed. Two weeks later, someone stole it. True story. ;)
nb
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 9:47:37 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

I paid $10 for a Hercules 6-speed (in the late '60's) at a garage sale...in a box, and every bearing in a glass jar. Got it all together...even zinc c hromate primed it and finished-off with Chevy Sunshine yellow. I used it to ride to the train in suburban Chicago (about a mile one-way). I left the g arage door open one night...
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:02:45 AM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:

chromate primed it and finished-off with Chevy Sunshine yellow. I used it to ride to the train in suburban Chicago (about a mile one-way). I left the garage door open one night...
Sorry...it was a 5-spd racer, I also road it in winter and only spilled onc e. (Hercules were made by Raleigh in the UK, IMMS)
bob_villa wrote:

I had a rigid GT stolen. It was a good bike in its day but it used every weird Shimano gadget that was Shimano discontinued the next year. While I was pissed I figured the thief had done me a favor since it forced me into a suspension fork model. Since then I've studiously avoided anything with Shimano's latest brainstorm.
On 02/05/2015 09:47 AM, notbob wrote:

This may appear twice (posted but didn't see)
My junker ten speed that I bought in 1972 was used year round, even in the snow.
Worked fine but looked so bad, no one stole it, even if left in known theft areas.