Security Lights

I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at daylight.
I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take care of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.
If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.
Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the lights before it's time ??
If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??
Thanks...
There are any number of ways to do this. One, I like is to control the lights through both a photocell and a commercial time clock like Intermatic T101. With the two controls in series, you can have the lights come on at dusk and off at a time of your choice

Thanks to all...great suggestions !! Ray

care
lights
I'd go with the sensor over the timer. With a timer, if you live in a area that observes daylight savings, you will be needing to adjust the timer at least twice a year, even more often as you 'follow the sunset' throughout the year. You'll also have to reset it if power is off.
I took the sensor approach for my coach lights on my garage. I purchased a sensor such as would go in a post lamp and mounted it in an exterior box up under the eaves. At Lowes they sell a plate that is intended for use with mounting a spot light (you buy the fixture separate from the plate). The hole was just right for the sensor.
As for overriding it, I do have a switch to be able to turn the lights OFF if I don't want them on, but I can't think of when I've ever wished they were ON earlier or later than the sensor provides.
That said, one thought I'd had was to use a standard 3-way switch in a somewhat unconventional manner. Feed the 'hot' onto one screw. Then connect the sensor lead to one of the others. Finally, using a 'jumper' from the 3rd screw that would 'jump' past the connector and connect to the lead to the lamps. In this manner, when the switch is toggled one way the current would flow thru the sensor and bypass the jumper. Toggle the switch the other way and the current would flow thru the jumper and bypass the sensor.
Hard to explain in words, but I think you can figure it out if you try drawing it first.
Mark

You can do both. That way you can have them come on at dusk, go off at a preset time. Timers can be over ridden also.
If a timer is a better option, for your needs, consider the X-10 system. That way the lights can be controlled from many points in the house if you'd like. I have a switch on my night stand so if I hear noises, I just push a button and lights come on. Check out www.smarthome.com for options.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:04:04 GMT, "mwlogs"

Leviton makes a Decora switch Timer with an Astronomic Feature (Lights ON at Sunset). Set it once and forget it. Manual overide controls at the switchplate.
I have an earlier version of this and I love it. It does the job every day and almost never needs attention. Outdoor photocells will also work but sometimes have issues (stray lights, bugs, dirt, more complicated circuit to overide, etc.)
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masteridB25703#description
Beachcomber
I have the type that come on at dusk at 1/4 power. Then if motion is detected, they go to full brightness. You can set the 1/4 power time period from 2/4/6 hours and also adjust the amount of full brightness time from like 2-15 mins. I think these are a great solution, as they save a lot on energy. They are 150W per lamp.
Ray wrote:

Why? So the theives won't trip over the watch dog and sue you? Security lights offer little security and only serve to point out a spot where something valuable is kept. Unless you're up all night watching, you'll never see an intruder. Besides, lights at night can bother the neighbors. Maybe you live isolated and that's not a problem, but the light may shine in your bedroom window as well. That could be good as it would keep you up so you can watch for the invaders. If you must, use motion sensor lights that don't shine all night. Please research and think about what you are about to do. My 2 worth.
Steve southiowa
Steve IA wrote:

in my

at
Security
you'll
isolated
window as

the
night.
Exactly! It's almost as if people are afraid of the dark. In the urban area those lights piss off the neighbors. In rural areas they are a beacon to the thieves and light up their work area nicely. The answer is motion sensors, at least there is a chance that by coming on they will scare off the lowlifes.
Harry K
Ray wrote:

You want the lights to come on and turn off when it gets dark and light. That changes all year long. Sensors take care of that for you, they also adjust for cloudy days. This is a job for the sensors. I would suggest wiring them so one sensor can handle both lights. You may want to experiment to see which location would be best for the sensor.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I have on of those on my front door. Flipping the switch can turn it up to full power also.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Steve IA wrote:

Actually all the studies I have seen (OK so the studies I have seen are 30+ years old) indicate that security lights do reduce problems in the area they light. They also show they increase problems in close by un-lit areas.
Do you have any newer studies you could share showing otherwise?
I always liked my father's (the locksmith) advice. Thieves are lazy. Just make your home look harder and less productive, than the house next door.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
What brand does the 1/4 power setting. Does HD or Lowes sell them? Thanks

My neighbor is a tard. His 5,000,000 watt spotlight shine into my BR window. Once I went over there and aimed it at his house. Another time I loosened the bulb. Next time I'm taking the bulb. LOL

No, they don't scare them away. The only thing, if you see your light activated you know to keep watch for somebody.

I would recommend the motion sensors. Having a light on from dusk to dawn is having it on about twelve hours a day over the course of a year. Multiply that by the wattage, and you equal $$$. With motion sensors, the light only comes on when needed, and if someone comes in, the lights come on to simulate someone turning on the lights.
I used to have dusk to dawn lighting, but then realized I was just lighting up the neighborhood and promoting promiscuity among the pussycats. Now, when the lights come on, I know there's something to go look at.
You don't need to have the lights on all night unless you are afraid of the dark. In that case, go with the 6,000 watt halogens.
Steve
TP wrote:

Here is one, although not the exact one I have.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdg210-000000234-SL4197BK&lpage=none--Joseph Meehan26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math