Sears Craftsman "Lifetime Guarantee" ?

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well). Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens? Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a

45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I don't recall details on the Lifetime on power tools any longer...it has applied to only handtools, etc., for at least 35-40 yrs or so if not even earlier but my recollections or details are hazy at best w/o looking it up, and I'm sure your geogle works as well as mine... :)

Yes, but only on the hand tools...

If covered, you get a current version of the closest to the same thing they've got and leave the dead one with them. Altho at a local small catalog store here I have talked them into repair kits for things like ratchets instead because the old handle is better-finished than the replacement new ones are so the feel is better--plus I like to keep the "patina" -- it's nice to have stuff around that have had for such long time. There are tools here on the farm that date back to my grandfather's first years here 100 yr ago...the recollection of using them w/ him as a young lad make them priceless.

Worst you can have happen is they say it isn't covered.

Reply to
dpb

Did Sears ever have a "lifetime guarantee" on their power tools?

Not on power tools. They didn't forty years ago, either.

They laugh at you.

Their hand tools don't but IME they give you a junk non-Craftsman tool to replace it and then the warranty is done. I've been done with Crapsman tool for ages (though I did buy their lawn tractor because it was the best tractor for, by far, the least money). There isn't a Sears within easy driving range so that sorta caps it, for me.

Reply to
krw

Per Bob:

A few years back, I found myself in a similar situation with a Craftsman tap-and-die set. The taps and dies were ok, but the box's plastic disintegrated.

NB: that, with a couple hundred small pieces, the organizing role of the box is pretty important.

But Sears' response was "Sorry... we guarantee the tools, not the boxes they come in".

Oh well....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Bob wrote in news:kljbdh$r2i$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The lifetime guarantee *never* applied to power tools, only to hand tools.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Unless the nearest Sears is a hundred miles away, you'll get a faster answer there than on Usenet.

And no matter what the distance, it will be a more reliable answer.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Other folks covered the warranty angle, and I also don't recall it applying to any power tools.

Beyond that, what is wrong with the saw? I would suspect by now the motor brushes probably need replacing and worn out brushes can certainly cause "doesn't work well" issues. Brushes are cheap and easy to replace. Probably that and a good cleaning and lubrication will have it running well again.

Reply to
Pete C.

I used to buy Craftsman screwdrivers for the lifetime warranty, but Craftsman never made electrician tools that were comfortable to use. The sockets and wrenches do last forever.

Reply to
Metspitzer

The warranty was for hand tools. I don't think they extend to power tools. The tools that are covered under warranty do not need a sails receipt.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Unless the nearest Sears is a hundred miles away, you'll get a faster answer there than on Usenet.

And no matter what the distance, it will be a more reliable answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

them wrong.

With at least of the dumber responses top-posted.

Reply to
krw

Not if you use a 3/4" socket for lug bolts (bolts, not nuts, Kaman Ghia) and jump on a 3' cheater bar.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But some of the new sales receipts are big enough to be used as sails.

Reply to
Pat

Not if you use a 3/4" socket for lug bolts (bolts, not nuts, Kaman Ghia) and jump on a 3' cheater bar.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or sales receipts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gottta get those California warning labels in there.

Reply to
krw

Just hand tools--I've heard of people buying old, junky, broken Craftsman hand tools at garage/yard sales for about $0.25 each and then returning them to Sears in exchange for new ones. Then sell the new tools relatively cheap. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Dating yourself, Ed!

Reply to
BobMCT

If it lasted 45 years, I would get it repaired and cleaned. Some new brushes, bearings and lube, then it will still be running when it gets handed down to a grand kid.

I haven't looked at any of the current Craftsman sabre saws, but I would be very, very surprised if the quality is anywhere as good as a

45 year old model.
Reply to
MG

Likely not even in the same universe, muchless planet.

Reply to
clare