Screws are NOT made for Structural Construction

Page 2 of 2

Combination of construction screws and nails does the job well. Screws have good holding power, but poor shear. Nails have good shear, but plain nails hon't have much holding power, and there are (as far as I know) no "ardox" or spiral nails for nail guns. My brother just put up his new shop, and he screwed everything together for the initial assembly (allowing him to remove and re-install if there was any adjustment required) - then finished up with 3 1/2 inch nails in the framing nailer ( not easy to find 3 1/2")
On Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:08:21 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote:

There is no rule that says which screw or nail you can use where. You may have to alter the design if you don’t want to alter your choice of screws or nails but you can use any screw anywhere as long as you have the experience and common sense to know how a structure will behave. Some mistakes people make with screws is that they place a screw too close to the edge and crack the wood, especially if they use old dry lumber and don’t drill a hole first. Another mistake is that a screw or a nail is not designed to hold up a structure but to keep the structure that is doing the holding from moving. In other words a screw or a nail should not be relied on to hold up a weight but to keep the stud that is holding the weight from moving.
On Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:08:21 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote:

*Simpson, the company that makes structural connectors also make structural screws. Home Depot has them with the Simpson connectors. A building inspector on a job I was on recently confirmed that these screws are rated for shear load.