screwdriver bit recommendations?

So what's the consensus on power screwdriver bits....go with the cheap, the bit more pricey or the exotic (diamond coated) for the average homeowner. Dunno the pedigree of the couple I picked up from the closeout box at a local hardware store but was surprised that after driving mebbe 50 1 1/2" drywall screws in ply that the bits were toast- yeah, the bits were the common #2 bits. Looking at the typical domestic US big box retailers- so that would make it dewalt, hilti, makita, vermont american- type makers. Just curious. Pat

Some are better and more durable than others. I don't try to tell the difference just be sure to have extras. Square drive bits and screws are better than the ordinary philips head but are more expensive. I always go with phillips head for that reason. If you use an impact driver rather than a drill/driver your tips will slip less and maybe last longer. I have snapped the cheap ones with my 12v panasonic impact driver.

I buy mine at www.mcfeeleys.com or www.leevaley.com They are of a decent quality, wear a long time, and most important, they do not ruin the screw. You may want to consider using square head also. Less chance of slipping.
patrick mitchel wrote:

I get the best performance out of the "anti-cam out" bits. Little more expensive but provides a dividend for the price.