SCR dimmer control for portable electric heater??

Page 1 of 4

I have one of those 1500 watt radiator style portable electric heaters. Love it
However, rather than the built in thermostat turning the unit OFF?ON every 15 min's or so, I was thinking it would be more efficient to use an SCR dimmer control to vary the amt or power it gets?
Does anyone know of an SCR control hefty enough to handle this kind of resistive heating load??
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 20, 8:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Ive built them before. Check with someone who sells stage lighting. They have some humongous dimmers.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 20, 8:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Ive built them before. Check with someone who sells stage lighting. They have some humongous dimmers.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
Probably only cost about $250 to regulate the $30 space heater. Diminishing returns, arrgh.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yeah.....that's what I was afraid of..... the control would be way too expensive <sigh>
The stage lighting idea is a good idea
I had hoped it might be possible to get such a control for $30 or so
Add pictures here
✖

YOu can try something like this: http://www.lutron.com/centurion/?s 000&t200
You will still have to seperate the blower motor so it runs all the time.
Add pictures here
✖
Since it's a filament heater (I think?) maybe a light dimmer knob would work. I don't have any specific information. Seems like a good idea, to run the wattage up and down with the heating demand.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 03/21/2010 08:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

well a rheostat type dimmer will burn up quickly if used in that manner... I'm assuming that that's why the OP mentioned "SCR."
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

use a diode, it will run at 1/2 power... or buy a stage type dimmer, unless you are an electronics engineer you will not be able to design an SCR circuit, also many SCR circuits will generate radio interference Try the diode first...
CAUTION, when you wire it up, think about what might happen if the diode shorts, you don't want this thing to ever be stuck in the on mode such that the thermostat can't turn it off..i.e fire hazard..
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

The diode would need to be in series with the thermostat, so would have no effect if it shorted on. The thermostat is stll "wearing the pants".
Add pictures here
✖

Yes..... SCR only
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Problem is the size of heat sink the SCR will need to handle 1.5KW.
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Hwang wrote:

The SCR is not the component dissipating 1.5KW, the heating element is doing that. Assuming 120VAC, the SCR is required to be able to handle 12.5 amps, which would put it as a basic stud-mount SCR, which can be expected to dissipate about 20 watts (as heat) with the device passing the maximum load.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
Jon Danniken wrote:

Hmmm, So ever took a look at actual heat sink in those applications? I even saw a SCR melted and falling off HS like a melting candy stick.when it got over heated.
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Hwang wrote:

A melting SCR? Somewhere there should have been a fuse.
Add pictures here
✖

SCR don't work like that
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in wrote:

well,it's a triac,not an SCR.
SCR would only work on half the AC cycle.
Or you could say thyristor....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes.... you are correct.....it is a Triac
I had forgotten it was a Triac and could only think abt the SCR name
Add pictures here
✖

Which covers both SCRs and Triacs
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Build it yourself for a few bucks, assuming there is not a little fan inside the unit (in which case you'd have to find a way to feed the fan whatever constant voltage it wants).
Or spend fitty bucks: http://www.wamhomecenter.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct 1031
Jon
Add pictures here
✖