Scotchgard Roof Algae Treatment

Anyone have any experience with this stuff. Apparently it'll add about $300 to the cost of my roof if I use it.

timbirr

I very much enjoyed reading the line "Quality shingle brands with the Scotchgard? AR System include Malarkey."

Seriously, you could probably go with zinc strips for a lot less money. They run the length of the roof peak and are attached while the house is being roofed. Here's one brand as an example:

I've had these on my roof since installing them in 1999 and they've worked fine. I picked them up at the local hardware store.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I asked a couple of different roofing guys about the zinc strips.....both said they aren't effective for more than a few years....same answer I got from the following site at Oregon State University:

timbirr

Malarkey is a Canadian company. See the web site. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Actually, they are out of Portland, Ore.

Reply to
timbirr

I have zinc strips installed on my Florida home's roof (light gray color) for the past 11 years. To this day the shingles have no trace of mildew or algae.

Several neighbors have them also. It's very easy to pick out the homes that do have them installed.

Reply to
Bishoop