Roof moss treatment info

Hi all

I live in one half of a "townhouse" like setup, with one wall of our home shared with a neighbor. We are in Portland, OR, so roof moss on our 5 year old composite roof is sometimes noticeable. It is not thick, but on the north side it is noticeable at the edges of the shingles. I have been treating it annually with a standard moss control powder, but am increasingly concerned with dumping sulphates into the water system.

My neighbor is retired, has time galore, and is rather more fastidious about his side of the property. Not that my side is neglected in any way, it looks brand new and nary a paint chip to be seen - but I am pretty busy and we don't always agree on the urgency (or sometimes necessity) of some maintenance issues. Get the picture? I also want to ensure we keep the peace, so being younger and in shape, I normally I tend to the tough tasks (like keeping moss off the roof) for both of us.

My neighbor recently decided moss was an issue, and got a couple of quotes to have the roof commercially treated. The quotes are coming in around 1K, or $500+ each. Aside from the labor, the common benefit the commercial places are offering is an environmentally safe product that is derived from sodium, or salts. This is the info I get from my neighbor, who is getting the marketing blurb. I see a few products out there that seem to follow this pattern (ie.

but this doesn't seem to be a commercial grade product.

The quote my neighbor got refers only to a product designated as "RCC". Not sure if that is a generic or brand name or some industry acronym. Anybody know where I can find info on product? My intent is to see if I can do the application myself and save both my quiet neighborhood and $500.

Tnx

Reply to
Mamba

"Mamba" wrote in news:sOadnYBGH-dNaDDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If you cater to someone who has too much time on their hands and money to burn, you just set youself up for more. There will be no end.

If you wish to treat it yourself, do so when YOU have time and the resources.

If your neighbor becomes unhappy with your failure to jump when he starts hinting around at things, he'll just have to find himself someone else to entertain him.

Reply to
Red Green

re: We are in Portland, OR, so roof moss on our 5 year old composite roof is sometimes noticeable.

It's not noticible in other parts of the country?

Anyway, DAGS on zinc strip moss control

e.g.

DerbyDad03

I tried the 98% zinc strip. Yep, there's no moss growing on the zinc. And no moss for a few inches below. But the rest of the roof has lots and lots of moss. I'm in Oregon, so we get lots of rain. And the roof doesn't get much sun.

I'd like an alternative to scraping moss out of all those crevices.

Reply to
mike

quoted text -

I have the same moss-friendly environment in western NY.

While doing my research for a roof replacement, a couple of contractors mentioned that the new architectural shingles have their own moss prevention substance (the word "acid" was used) built in. One contractor suggested both - treated shingles *and* a zinc strip.

re: I'd like an alternative to scraping moss out of all those crevices

Get a metal roof.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Zinc will prevent moss from growing but will not eliminate a thriving growth of it. YOU have to physically remove it first.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Give the neighbor something to do. Have him get the product MSDS sheet from the company OR have them tell him where to find it online.

Reply to
Oren

It's a concentrated liquid that should be mixed to a 9:1 ratio for existing black algae streaks. 5:1 for moss. You may want to order their special made hose end sprayer because standard hose end sprayers can't get close to mixing these ratios.

It takes a while to do its magic (6-9 months) but again requires no damaging scrubbing or rinsing!!! It should be applied every 18-24 months thereafter as a preventative.

Reply to
tnom

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

Many types of shingles now have some type of AR (Algae Resistant) rating. Even some of the cheapos I think.

Reply to
Red Green

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

Same thing in NC big time. It thrives in the high humidity in the summer.

Reply to
Red Green

Blattus Slafaly wrote in news:a82dnQu3c9B5cjPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

With the black algae, you see an older roof here with lots of black...and a defined clean strip...from the galvanized (zinc) roof pipes down to the eave. Follows what you said since the pipe has been there since the roof was shingled.

Reply to
Red Green