Saving $ on the gas bill

I was kind of freaked about natural gas prices since I got two notices from Alliant Energy that they were hiking prices. I read some tips on the DOE website about how to weather proof and save heat this winter. I did a few things and spent about $2500. I got my first two natuaral gas bill and was pleasantly surprised when I comared to my last years gas bill. I saved 20% this month and last month. This is what I did.

90% efficient powervent furnace installed = $2000 I put a Chimney Balloon in my fireplace flue = $50 I calked my old style single pane windows = $5 I blew in another 12" of celulose attic insulation = $250 I foamed around my door jams with Great stuff. = $10

The time and money I sent on this stuff is minimal compared to a 20% savings. I am thrilled!

Reply to
DIYman

Very cool. That should pay back inside a couple years or less! Thanks for sharing the info.

What's the chimney balloon do for ya?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

when fireplace not in use, it keeps room heat from going up flue & stops the cold draft that is the result of having a missing, damaged, or warped damper

Reply to
Long Wang

You would have been even more thrilled had you waited until January 1st to make those improvements at which time they would also have yielded big tax savings...

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

Ah....

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Excellent! Now with the money you save, put it into additional energy saving things over the next 5 or so years. Energy Star double pane windows, Energy Star appliances, etc.

Over time, you will see your cost of living going down rather than up.

Reply to
Bill

Is there a new credit going into place? I missed the memo.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Todd is correct. You could have received a $150 tax credit for the new furance.

see attached link

tonysi21

Does that mean furnace prices will be going up about $150 on Jan. 1?

Reply to
CJT

Just don't forget it's there next time you want to roast chestnuts.

Reply to
CJT

Excellent choices.

Two other steps I might suggest;

  1. A programmable thermostat ( about ) I have ours set to drop temp to 62 from 10 pm to 6am.

  1. Inexpensive shrink-wrap kits for some of your windows. The DO work.

Reply to
Anonymous