Sanity/Code check on a garage utility sink

Hello,

I'm remodeling my kitchen and will have the old kitchen sink and faucet available for use.

I'm toying with the idea of using this sink in the garage.

There is a space in my garage that is a perfect fit for the sink and cabinet enclosure.

Nearby is the water heater and it's possible (note I'm just saying physically possible) to tap into the hot and cold water supply using say reducing tees and run some 1/2 rigid copper down the wall to the center of this space and terminate them in supply fittings.

The problem is that there is no easy way to tie into the drain waste vent system. The slab and walls would have to be opened up etc. Not something I want to bother with.

So the idea I'm toying with is to stub out pvc from the sink drains to just a vertical piece that would drain into a 5 gal bucket. I would just empty this bucket into a toilet or outside drain when I'm done. No, I would not be using dangerous chemicals in this sink. It would be used mainly when home brewing for some minor cleanup and for a water supply.

I can see the objections being that you don't want to leave goopy water in that 5 gal bucket to ferment. I think I could discipline myself to simply empty and clean it after using. I wouldn't be using it to casually wash my hands every 10 minutes. Just for the hour or so it takes to get a batch of wort fermenting that I'd do every 2 weeks or so.

I know that this arrangement wouldn't meet code as a permanent fixture. What I'm wondering is whether the tapping into the supply lines at the water heater and running that bit of supply plumbing down the wall and terminating in supply fittings could be done permanently and so as to meet code. If I ever want to sell the place I'd remove the sink and shut off the supply valves. Worse comes to worse I could always remove the plumbing and replace the T's with unions as are there now.

Before you light up those flame throwers note that I'm not up on a step ladder w/tubing cutter in one hand, a blowtorch in the other, and typing this with my toes. (forgetting to have shut off the water of course)

Just toying with the idea and am looking for a sanity check.

thanks ml

ps. What also just comes to mind is running some flexible pipe from the sink drain stub to a sewer cleanout that's just outside the garage side door.

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Why not use a simple ejector pump and bring it to the closest drain? Pumps are cheap enough. Also, don't forget about freezing in the winter time if your in that type of area.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

I had a sink exactly like that in a former house. It was a PITA, but I can't imagine why it would violate any code. (but sometimes code is unimaginable...)

Reply to
toller

Unless climate seriously changes freezing isn't a problem. (San Diego) Just looked at a couple web sites. I could make that work easily enough if I can surface mount the plumbing on existing walls. Otherwise I'd have to run it through enough studs to be a real pain. The washing machine drain connection isn't too far away and I'd only have to penetrate one wall.

It's not exactly what I'd call "cheap enough". It looks like the whole project could run up towards a grand.

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Sink water from hand washing isn't really sewage. Depending on where you live and how your garage is located is there anyway to just run a pipe to a small drywell in the yard. Not code I am sure but what would it hurt?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I just knocked a hole in the wall (brick) and ran 2 inch pvc to the 'outside'.

Sold the house and the new owner has not changed it 5 years later.

Reply to
JimL

Just hook up a hose-bib to the hot-water, and build a free-standing cabinet for the sink/holding tank. If it's not attached to the house, it's not generally a code-issue, and hose bibs can go pretty much anywhere.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
nospambob

What about a drain returning to a waste stack inside the house?

--

  • TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Also:

TomH

[...]

I don't (and couldn't) know for sure what meets or doesn't meet code in your juristriction.... but i cannot imagine not allowing for surface mount hot/cold hose bibs (?) in the garage... and *that* is what i would ask the code people in your area.

Once it's installed, install your "portable" sink using washing machine hoses.

I've been pondering having a sink just like that, only for an extended "camping" trip i go on at the beginning of august.

Reply to
Philip Lewis