Adding Utility Sink

My home is raised an entire story off the ground with the garage underneath. I would like to add a utility sink in the work area and I think I have found a suitable location. I recently moved my water heater and put in new PEX pipe coming out of the ceiling and into the WH. Close by there is what I think is my main drain going to the sewer

- it is a 4"+ pipe (labeled not suitable for pressure) that has 2 main pipes coming into it from the ceiling. Can I run a cold and hot line off the inputs to my WH and just tap into that drain for the sink? If so, what are best practices for going from a standard drain to a larger drain pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ianjones

. Can I run a cold and hot line

No, yes.

If you tap into the inputs, you only get cold water. Tap the input for cold, the output for hot. (yes, I know you meant that)

Yes, you can tap into that pipe for the drain.

If

There are usually adapters that will go onto the drain pipe as a saddle. You use a hole saw to make the hole in the side, strap on the saddle, attach the drain and trap as normal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, I caught that slip on "input", too. I would just add be sure to give good physical support to the thing- some of them come with downright flimsy(the cheapos) to only so-so legs. I put mine in last year, and was having visions of my kids climbing all over the thing and flooding the basement- built a brace for it and mounted to studs They could climb on it now, for all I care. Even w/o kids, sink full of water is heavy, and over time those legs may splay, etc. Could at least brace together legs at bottom.

Reply to
Sev

Don't know, but I do know that if your lot floods to the level of your toilet, the doors won't keep the water out, because the water will go down the drain of the utility sink and up the main drain to every fixture you have.

Yes, I know the doors probably wouldn't keep the water out anyhow, and the drains will be filled by the flooding somewhere nearby anyhow, but I wanted to point out this additional point.

Although a plug in the drain might stop this.

Reply to
mm

Also consider using a kitchen faucet w/sprayer for your sink. You will have to drill new holes to mount it but the sprayer is ever so handy for some cleanup jobs.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt