Sander recommendation

Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work & maybe to soften some edges on a few handrails.
What brand/kind would you recommend?
Thanks!
On 7/25/2012 10:06 AM, Gomba wrote:

Any of the 5" orbitals will satisfy that -- just go to the Borg and choose the one that feels most comfortable. I've used P-C for years just to have standardized and that they are the ones I do like the balance, switch location, etc., etc., on.
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:36:03 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Ditto - I picked up a Milwaukee variable speed 5" about a year ago when an old machine died. At high speed, and with coarse paper, it will aggressively remove wood. At low speed with 220 or 400 it also does a pretty good job with finish work. I use it as a supplement to a couple of Dewalt vibrating pad sanders.
RonB

Porter-Cable has been dominant in sanders for nearly a century. Tried others, bought P-C when they crapped out, Whole shop is P-C now, 4 x 24" belt, 6" RO, etc.For now, my adice is go Harbor Freight and you will get more product for the $$. Upgrade when your needs/ budget dictates.
Joe

Orbitals are excellent, but since he said trim I'll go off the wall a bit. Harbor Freight multi-tool. The triangular sanding pads work well for small stuff, and get into tight spots. Cheap enough too, including pads. Then you get something besides a sander.
--
Vic

I think I got that same combo. Problem is, the jig saw has no air blower and throws all the sawdust out onto the guideline so you can't see it unless yer bent over and making like the big bad wolf. Very bad/cheap design. The sander works OK.
nb

You didn't know that there was a 12" compound miter saw in the package?
Didn't you wonder why the box was so big? ;-)
Gomba wrote:

The choice of the Harbor Freight palm finishing sander ($22), or the random orbital sander ($25) should be more than adequate.
http://www.harborfreight.com/palm-finishing-sander-95020.html http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-random-orbital-palm-sander-93431.html
Here's a review on the latter.