Samsung TV repair question.

I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. It is around 32 inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past, I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is. Anything that can be done to fix this?
Its model number is TXJ2766.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/14/2011 1:45 PM Beezle Bub spake thus:

You might try over in sci.electronics.repair. Better chance of getting knowledgable replies there.
--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
✖
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:45:45 -0800 (PST), Beezle Bub

You have some defective capacitors in the power supply
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 14, 7:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

First question is this. Suppose it turns out to be something simple, like a single component that could be obtained for $10. Do you have the basic skills to take the TV apart, unsolder a part, replace it, etc? Have even the most basic tools, eg soldering iron, VOM, hand tools, etc? Or know someone who does to do it for you? If not, no need to go any further. Just junk it because if you have to take it to a TV shop it would cost so much compared to buying a new, better, HD one that it isn't worth it.
And even if you do have the skills, playing guessing games to try to figure out what it is may not be worth it anyway.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:06:03 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Being it is analog it MIGHT not be worth having fixed - but if it has video inputs and he wants to use it with a cable direct box or whatever, it may be worth fixing. Just because it is analog (NTSC tuner instead of ATSC) does NOT mean it is not HD. Could even be 1080P.
If it is capacitors it is likely 4 or 6 electrolytics, worth about $3 each, eaxy to find because they will be swelled (tops convex instead of concave) and they are generally through hole mounted radial devices, so simple to change if he or a friend is handy with a solder gun.
If he spends $30 on parts and it doesn't work when he's finished, he's not out much, and he's had the experience. If he fixes it he feels good about it, and has a usefull TV (or at least TV Monitor) for a couple more years. Depending where he is, there may be an independent repair shop that will fix it for a $50 flat rate labour charge plus parts - still pretty reasonable for a Samsung TV (they are pretty decent units, on the whole).
If he opens up the case and finds 4 or 6 electroltytic caps that have bulged, he's not guessing any more. - and if replacing them fixes it, it's worth doing, if for nothing else than the experience.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/14/2011 6:53 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Not necessarily so; if some caps have gone high ESR instead of bulging, he'll never see them, unless he has an ESR meter and knows how to use it and where to poke it.
--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
✖
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:57:30 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Every one I've seen cause that kind of problem has been severely swelled -and a lot of them were on Samsung monitors. (VGA, not TV, but they are very closely related.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/14/2011 10:57 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Gotta agree. And I'd first look in the horizontal section.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/14/2011 7:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd be more inclined to look in the horizontal section. Weak power supply voltage normally shrinks the pictures height and width.
Add pictures here
✖

An 11 year old TV is nearly as obsolete as a wind up Victrola and not nearly as valuable. Unless you are intent on getting into a new hobby, buy a nice small flat panel LCD and take the poor critter to the recycling center or find it a home on Craigslist. The digital world has whistled right on past your Samsung.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

It is a CRT set instead of a flat panel, so yes - definitely forget about fixing it. I wasn't thinking straight and had not looked up the model number. Deep six it. QUICK. (and on a flat screen it is more likely to flash on and off than to shrink - flat panels don't have deflection issues like CRTs - so "flog me with a wet noodle"
If it was a flat panel, either LCD or plasma, it would be worth looking at. Being a CRT, not worth even cracking open the case.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, He'll save on enrgy use too. Time to go for boat anchors
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Hwang wrote:

I'm still using a Magnavox 27" CRT that was made in '87, and has a picture that still looks like the day it was made.
In the winter it helps heat the house, and in the summer I should be outside anyway.
I like watching TV as much as the next guy, but if it ain't broke....
Jon
Add pictures here
✖

Bring it to a recycling center capable of properly disposing of used CRT gizmos and then buy a new TV...
If you don't know what you are doing opening up a CRT TV set can be fatal if you don't properly and safely discharge the capacitors before poking around inside...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:45:45 -0800 (PST), Beezle Bub

My ex-wife was named Anna an she had a log too. That's why her former-former husband, named Sam, called her Anna Log. Sam was a singer, and Sam sung on TV which I saw in 2000. His dick was around 32 inches. The problem is that his image kept getting 'squeezed'. Eventually his sides caved in and his image vanished like an hourglass. In the past, he would have this problem for like 10 minutes but his image would eventually correct itself. Nowadays, his problem remains as it is. Nothing that can be done to fix his image. He's just an all around loser.
His ID number is TXJ2766. That's "TX" for TEXAN, and "J" for JERK. 27 is his IQ, and 66 is the length of his prison sentence.
Jezabull
Add pictures here
✖
Beezle Bub wrote:

I wouldn't bother messing with it, but if you don't mind watching a CRT hit the 2nd hand stores they are full of them now days. Reminds me, I have a couple of them I intended to give away, I ought to do that right now.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:31:09 -0600, FatterDumber& Happier Moe

While you still can!!!
Add pictures here
✖
?

Right. When I put mine at the curb, it sat for days and I finally put stickers on it for trash pickup. Same with computer monitors.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:18:35 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

Put a price tag of $50 on it and it will dissapear overnight.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/15/2011 10:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What happens here is that someone with a hammer will stop and smash the top and remove the parts with copper/aluminum in them. I've even seen the garbage pickup guys do it.
I just had a 30 yard dumpster removed. While I had it I had a steady stream of guys and girls in pickups and mini vans looking for metal. I actually have a place I put metal out at for the regulars, but this drew people I've never seen before. And, I'm on a side street near two dead ends. How do they find me? Does the metal pay for all that gas spent looking?
Car batteries are at $6 or $7, so lead is worth something again. I think the lead in the tube is too hard to recover though.
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖