Samsung, Speed Queen, Miele Washers

I want to buy a front loading washing machine and (sort of) have it narrowed down to Speed Queen, Samsung or Miele. I would be grateful for any real world comments about such washers from anyone who has owned any of these brands. Bosch seems to have a poor track record in terms of construction and service.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
ksternberg1

my $0.02

When I rented a high-end condo for a couple of years, all of the appliances were Miele. The washer was front load and did an extremely impressive job. Whites were incredible! My only real beef with it was the incredibly long cycle time. It's been a number of years but IIRC it took around 90 minutes per load. So, if your "laundry day" is like 7 loads, it's truly a LAUNDRY DAY! :)

Miele is most likely the most expensive machine on your option list that you posted. (Just a guess based on previous experience though). German appliances are most likely one of, if not THE most energy efficient in the world due to their very strict regulations. When I renovated my Parent's kitchen, I eventually convinced my Father to spring for a Miele dishwasher which was $2,200CDN at the time (16 or so years ago), a GREAT deal more than the comparable machines. They are also extatic with the performance of their machine and, like the washer, you pretty much have to place your ear right against the door to know if it's actually running. They had a problem with the cycle timer about 7 years ago and Miele service was there the same day to repair the machine at a very reasonable cost.

My friend has a Bosch dishwasher that he installed ~10 years ago at about half the cost of a Miele. He is also very happy with the machine and I've heard it running and noted that it was comparably as silent as the Miele. Bosch has started 'farming out' manufacturing to other Countries which is why for example, I would NEVER buy a Bosch diesel engine glow plug since they're now made in Japan. Perhaps their appliances are also manufactured elsewhere.

Sorry, this is becoming long winded LOL. My last note.... My Parent's bought the Whirlpool front load washer 5 years ago and love it. Whirlpool seems to have a bad reputation from what I've heard so maybe they just got lucky.

PS. I love my Samsung HDTV ;)

Good luck with your purchase!

Gary

Reply to
gerdman

I would NEVER buy a Bosch diesel engine glow plug since they're now made in Japan.

Why is that? Seems like Japanese cars are more reliable than anything around including the Europeans. I have problems with Bosch parts too for my Volvo but didn't paid attention if its made in Germany or elsewhere. If Japan cars parts not reliable then what country would you consider as having better quality control? Seems like everything is made in China now.

Reply to
Jack

I wish I could answer that from an Engineering perspective. What I do know is, I have changed the glow plugs on a friends Navistar 6.9 Diesel engine 3 times in 2 years. Twice with Bosch (Japan) in two months and once with Beru (Germany) and the Beru ones are still going and we're having a darn cold winter up here :) And I agree, damn near everything is made in China now since labor is pretty cheap there. I guess you get what you pay for. I have no problem with Japanese made vehicles whatsoever so perhaps this is just a flaw in the engineering or manufacturing process.

Gary

Reply to
gerdman