SAE 10 Wt ND Oil?

I have 7 "Hunter Original" ceiling fans that i need oil for. The "fan" oil is 3 dollars a tube, good for one fan.(At Home Depot)

It's just SAE 10 Wt Non Detergent oil but I can't seem to find any in quantity so I don't have to pay the outrageous price of 3 dollars a tube.

I was thinking about "3 in 1 oil" but it doesn't say what Wt it is or if it's ND.

I was also thinking about pneumatic tool oil. Does anyone have any idea what wt it is and if it's ND?

Maybe even an online fan site that sells it in quantity for a low price.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Reply to
Ron

Whatever you put in your car will be fine

Reply to
m Ransley

It is 10 wt non detergent oil. The stuff in the red cans at least, the blue can "motor oil" is 20 wt.

Reply to
John Hines

John,

According to their web site 3 in 1 multipurpose oil is 17 wt. and 3 in 1 motor oil is 20 wt. they are both non-detergent. See

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

This is Turtle.

Most all motor manufactor state that you should use 20 wt. SAE Non-detergent standard motor oil in most all motors unless state other wise. I use 30 wt. SAE Non-detergent standard motor oil to oil motor. They sell 30 wt. non-detergent motor oil at most all auto parts houses or I think they sell it at Walmarts , too. Also get you a small flex hose oil gun too and keep it handy for other stuff.

I'm Speaking of standard auto non-detergent motor oil for autos at about a $1.00 something a Qt. . I use the 30 wt. because it is hard to find the 20 wt. in motor oil form everywhere. I think the 10 wt. oil is not thick enough to stay in the bearing and bearing packing. Also it makes you buy the 10 wt. oil from Hunter because it is very hard to find 10 wt. oil anywhere.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
nospambob

Hi, Ron.

The detergency is a "red herring"- it certainly can't cause problems to keep submicroscopic debris in suspension, whether or not you're going to change the oil. Any SAE 10 vi (viscosity index) oil with an API (American Petroleum Institute) grade on the label should be way more than you need. Ditto 20 vi, really. These things don't turn at 10k rpm. :')

This all begs the question "why doesn't mfg. use proper sealed roller-bearings?"

Reply to
barry

A tube of oil for one fan? What you want is often called Turbine oil, which is good for high temperatures, low viscosity, and does not get gummy, made for motors. Appliance manufactures put their own brand name on it; one bottle I have says "Maytag." Also sold as "Spout" or something "..out." I've seen this stuff in 2-3 ounce quantities in various places including Walmart. (about $4) Can't imagine why you want much. You only use 2-4 drops per electric motor of any type. I've been using out of a 3 ounce bottle for various things including motors and other bearings for 30 years.

Don't use 3 in 1, it will get gummy. You are probably right in suggesting pneumatic tool oil. Course, if you want to go really high class, get some clock oil which is probably the same as Turbine oil.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Try a sewing shop. Most sewing machine oils are ND 10wt

Reply to
ChairMan

George, "Hunter Original" ceiling fans have a reservoir that holds 1oz of oil that lubricates the bearings and shaft. 1oz for THREE dollars!

Now you see why I'm looking for alternatives. I got a GREAT deal on the fans at an estate sale but had to buy mounting hardware which was a little costly (Hunter) So if worst comes to worst I'll shell out the 21 bucks, just trying to save some money.

Reply to
Ron

Wow! That much oil should last 30 years. I'm with Barry, they should have used sealed bearings. BTW, the turbine oil is also sold as Zoom. I'd be tempted to use automatic transmission fluid which is likely superior to the Hunter oil. No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even sperm whale oil.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Lightweight Mobil1 would work fine also. Synthetics are extremely thin and watery and will likley last a very long time under the environment of a cieling fan motor. I know about the Hunter fan Reservoir too. I think it works well, and is quite sufficient for the motor designs of their times.

Give the Mobil1 a try. It will certainly not hurt the motor anyway.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I think automatic transmission fluid is not oil. Bud--

George E. Cawth>

Reply to
Bud

I read a long time ago that the detergent will destroy wicking. Bud--

snipped-for-privacy@sme-> Hi, Ron.

Reply to
Bud

I picked up a 12 oz. can of Valvoline Synpower lubricant at Big Lots for $1.79. It seems to be pretty good stuff. For light weight lubrication, I use Gunk Super Oil, which is ultra slick, non-gumming and non-drying. It is good for everything from valve oil in my trumpet to sewing machines to hair clippers. It is lighter weight than 3 in 1, and may be just what you are looking for.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

replying to Ron, pat wrote: ron you can get sae 10 weight look into water windmill oil to find it buy the quarts

Reply to
pat

replying to Ron, Kath wrote: I bought a quart of SAE 10W-30 at Ace Hardware. It is their brand motor oil for all seasons. They told me it is non-detergent. I ran it in my fans all summer with no problem. I hope this is OK I?m starting to second-guess myself

Reply to
Kath

replying to Ron, pat wrote: ron you can get sae 10 weight look into water windmill oil to find it buy the quarts

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

I don't think a fan runs as "dirty" as a car, so I think you'll be fine. The idea of the detergent is to remove sludge, I think. Of course, I don't have a fan that you have to add oil to. Anyway, don't lose any sleep over it.

Reply to
Bill

Why would anyone think "10w-30 motor oil" was non detergent unless it specifically said so (and I only see than in straight 30w). If it has an API rating like "SN", the current standard, it certainly is detergent oil. For just oiling a fan I am not sure it is really important anyway. A lot depends on what kind of fan we are talking about tho and what bearings it uses. Are there oil cups? If these are the permanently oiled bearings in a cheap box fan, you are just pissing on the fire because most types of oil will just gum them up over time.

Reply to
gfretwell