SAE 10 Wt ND Oil?

I have 7 "Hunter Original" ceiling fans that i need oil for. The "fan" oil is 3 dollars a tube, good for one fan.(At Home Depot)
It's just SAE 10 Wt Non Detergent oil but I can't seem to find any in quantity so I don't have to pay the outrageous price of 3 dollars a tube.
I was thinking about "3 in 1 oil" but it doesn't say what Wt it is or if it's ND.
I was also thinking about pneumatic tool oil. Does anyone have any idea what wt it is and if it's ND?
Maybe even an online fan site that sells it in quantity for a low price.
Any suggestions would be of great help.
Whatever you put in your car will be fine
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron) wrote:

It is 10 wt non detergent oil. The stuff in the red cans at least, the blue can "motor oil" is 20 wt.
John,
According to their web site 3 in 1 multipurpose oil is 17 wt. and 3 in 1 motor oil is 20 wt. they are both non-detergent. See http://www.wd40.com/Brands/3in1_faqs.html
Dave M.

This is Turtle.
Most all motor manufactor state that you should use 20 wt. SAE Non-detergent standard motor oil in most all motors unless state other wise. I use 30 wt. SAE Non-detergent standard motor oil to oil motor. They sell 30 wt. non-detergent motor oil at most all auto parts houses or I think they sell it at Walmarts , too. Also get you a small flex hose oil gun too and keep it handy for other stuff.
I'm Speaking of standard auto non-detergent motor oil for autos at about a $1.00 something a Qt. . I use the 30 wt. because it is hard to find the 20 wt. in motor oil form everywhere. I think the 10 wt. oil is not thick enough to stay in the bearing and bearing packing. Also it makes you buy the 10 wt. oil from Hunter because it is very hard to find 10 wt. oil anywhere.
TURTLE
Pneumatic tool oil is ND.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:41:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron) wrote:

Hi, Ron.
The detergency is a "red herring"- it certainly can't cause problems to keep submicroscopic debris in suspension, whether or not you're going to change the oil. Any SAE 10 vi (viscosity index) oil with an API (American Petroleum Institute) grade on the label should be way more than you need. Ditto 20 vi, really. These things don't turn at 10k rpm. :')
This all begs the question "why doesn't mfg. use proper sealed roller-bearings?"
Ron wrote:

A tube of oil for one fan? What you want is often called Turbine oil, which is good for high temperatures, low viscosity, and does not get gummy, made for motors. Appliance manufactures put their own brand name on it; one bottle I have says "Maytag." Also sold as "Spout" or something "..out." I've seen this stuff in 2-3 ounce quantities in various places including Walmart. (about $4) Can't imagine why you want much. You only use 2-4 drops per electric motor of any type. I've been using out of a 3 ounce bottle for various things including motors and other bearings for 30 years.
Don't use 3 in 1, it will get gummy. You are probably right in suggesting pneumatic tool oil. Course, if you want to go really high class, get some clock oil which is probably the same as Turbine oil.
George, "Hunter Original" ceiling fans have a reservoir that holds 1oz of oil that lubricates the bearings and shaft. 1oz for THREE dollars!
Now you see why I'm looking for alternatives. I got a GREAT deal on the fans at an estate sale but had to buy mounting hardware which was a little costly (Hunter) So if worst comes to worst I'll shell out the 21 bucks, just trying to save some money.
Ron wrote:

Wow! That much oil should last 30 years. I'm with Barry, they should have used sealed bearings. BTW, the turbine oil is also sold as Zoom. I'd be tempted to use automatic transmission fluid which is likely superior to the Hunter oil. No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even sperm whale oil.
I think automatic transmission fluid is not oil. Bud--
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I read a long time ago that the detergent will destroy wicking. Bud--
snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron) says...

I picked up a 12 oz. can of Valvoline Synpower lubricant at Big Lots for $1.79. It seems to be pretty good stuff. For light weight lubrication, I use Gunk Super Oil, which is ultra slick, non-gumming and non-drying. It is good for everything from valve oil in my trumpet to sewing machines to hair clippers. It is lighter weight than 3 in 1, and may be just what you are looking for.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

In spewed forth and said:

Try a sewing shop. Most sewing machine oils are ND 10wt
Lightweight Mobil1 would work fine also. Synthetics are extremely thin and watery and will likley last a very long time under the environment of a cieling fan motor. I know about the Hunter fan Reservoir too. I think it works well, and is quite sufficient for the motor designs of their times.
Give the Mobil1 a try. It will certainly not hurt the motor anyway.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB