rust treatment

Many years ago I had good luck repainting rusty metal using naval jelly, then primer, then enamel. Eight years ago I had good luck with POR 15, but it was expenive.

I've read that Zero Rust is a cheaper paint and does a very good job.

I've also read that Picklex 20 is an excellent way to prepare a rusty surface for painting. I've found only one source, which charges $31.50 a pint plus shipping.

Are Picklex 20 and Zero Rust the best ways to repaint rusty iron? Who sells them?

Reply to
Choreboy

Both are indeed specialty items and won't be found at your common suppliers. Maybe but doubtful, at a paint store that specializes in auto body paints and/ or restoration materials.

Zero Rust is available from JC Whitney.

Picklex20 may only be available online

However you can email them and ask.

G Henslee

Reply to
Jmagerl

"Extend" is great, and I'v e used it for year; buy mine at a NAPA store or a big-orange when we travel south. Available as spray or in cans, forget cost, but not real expensive. It chemically modifies the rust to become a coating which can then be top coated. You have to remove all loose/scaling first of course.

HTH

Pop

Reply to
Pop