Rust problem

I'm repairing a wooden table that lives outdoors on a concrete patio. It's going to get a facelift with fiberglass on top (and paint) and I'm making new legs for it, the bottoms of which are 2x4s.

This time, though, I've decided to put casters on it so I don't have to drag it when I want to move it. I just picked up some ~2.5 inch casters, which attach by a small plate. Other than the black rubber wheels, these casters are all steel, and have steel ball-bearings. They are going to get exposed to wet conditions and I'm wondering what I can do to prevent them from becoming unusably rusty.

The guy I bought them from said that grease would become like glue under these conditions and he just didn't know what to do. Maybe 30 weight motor oil.

I'm wondering if I can just put bicycle waterproof bearing grease in the ball-bearings. Will that gum up when exposed to wet weather and dirt?

I'm planning on putting skirts around the bottoms of the 2x4's to keep the direct rain off the bearings. Maybe I should spray paint the steel, don't know. Suggestions appreciated.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Musicant

id get stainless steel, regular steel will rust

Reply to
m Ransley

:id get stainless steel, regular steel will rust

I wouldn't know where to look for that and even so I think it would be prohibitively expensive. I got these casters used for $10. I'm hoping they will work OK for some years in spite of the harsh conditions, if I take some care, maybe. WD40, bike grease, oil, silicone spray, something. Suggestions?

Reply to
Dan Musicant

marine wheel bearing grease

would be

hoping

Reply to
Spud

I sure don't know why it would become like glue.

Spud is right. Stop at the boat shop and get some weelbearing grease made for boat trailers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

:Dan Musicant wrote: :> I'm repairing a wooden table that lives outdoors on a concrete patio. :> It's going to get a facelift with fiberglass on top (and paint) and :> I'm making new legs for it, the bottoms of which are 2x4s. :>

:> This time, though, I've decided to put casters on it so I don't have :> to drag it when I want to move it. I just picked up some ~2.5 inch :> casters, which attach by a small plate. Other than the black rubber :> wheels, these casters are all steel, and have steel ball-bearings. :> They are going to get exposed to wet conditions and I'm wondering :> what I can do to prevent them from becoming unusably rusty. :>

:> The guy I bought them from said that grease would become like glue :> under these conditions and he just didn't know what to do. Maybe 30 :> weight motor oil. : : I sure don't know why it would become like glue. : : Spud is right. Stop at the boat shop and get some weelbearing grease :made for boat trailers.

Didn't know it existed. Found a site that's selling it (see below). I live where they have boat shops and I'll go into one and pick some up. Thanks!

- - - - -

Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion and Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease - 10 Case ($15) This is for a full case of Lubrimatic wheel bearing grease. Ten 14 oz. cartridges per case. This comes out to be $1.50 per grease cartridge, which CAN'T BE BEAT!

A sophisticated lubricant developed for use in sever operating conditions caused by salt water, salt air, and/or atmospheric chemicals. Outstanding mechanical stability. Unsurpassed water resistance. Superior rust and corrosion prevention

Recommended for corrosive marine applications, boat trailer wheel bearings, or any wheel bearings subject to rust/corrosion including disc brake wheel bearings.

Water-insoluble Resists salt air & water Controls rust Many marine applications Excellent for water pumps

:>