Running a dryer vent

Howdy Folks,

I need to run a vent for my dryer. Unfortunately, there isn't enough room in the walls to run behind the drywall (2x3's were used). That's fine. This is in the basement so I'm not worried about it looking perfect.

So, I'm thinking just run it up to the ceiling and across to room the vent location. How do I attach it or hang it from the ceiling/walls? Is there like a "vent clip hanging thingy"?

Thanks everyone,

-Jay

Reply to
coolneo

Before you give up on the 3 inch studs, there are some special ducts which are thin but wide and made for closet installations of dryers where you have to be right up to the wall. They have limited length but you might be able to connect 2 together and they claim to carry as much air as a round duct. They have them at Home Depot.

Reply to
Art

Sounds like a long run with several elbows. Check the dryer manufacturer's limits for duct runs. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Hi Jay,

Since appearance isn't a concern, I'd just use metal pipe strap, available at any plumbing supply outlet in rolls. Fasten it to the ceiling with sheetrock screws.

Be sure and get rigid 4" x 24" aluminum pipe, and a roll of foil tape for the joints. Not a tough job, but double-check your dryer's manual or the appropriate manufacturer's website for recommended max lengths. Anything over 14ft with 2 elbows, and you'll def. want to check on the specs.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Running the duct up is not the best choice for proper function. Use 4" smooth wall aluminum pipe and fittings designed for this use. minimize the use of flexible, corrigated duct. It tends to load up with damp lint and in many areas is prohibited anywhere but right at the machine. Terminate the outside end with a proper hood with backdraft flapper to keep critters out.

Reply to
Inspector D