Routing Cable Telivision Line Options

I have a cable service, like a lot of people. The problem is I only have one line to hook up to and would like to run it through the house. The basement is finished like the rest of the house. Does anyone make a system to transmit cable around the house like they do for wireless internet through out a house. I would be nice not to have to drill, route, crawl in the attic, and remove ceilings.
Dave
They do make it, it works Ok but it is 2.4 GHZ so some cordless phones can cause problems. I have the wavecon unit which is pretty well rated! Wayne

system
in
Where did you get it?
Dave

have
Here is info and a place you can buy
http://www.rflinktech.com/prod/faq/srfaq.html
Like I said it does work not perfect if you have other 2.4 GHz devices!
Wayne

The
crawl
DS wrote:

Ask your cable company. Mine came out and for $15 a set they ran the cable to each room. They did it from outside in my case and came through the wall. Total cost was less than what I'd pay for materials. YMMV. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I don't know if I want more cable with holes coming in the side of the house. I have the one from the hook up now.
Dave

On 01 Feb 2004, DS wrote:

What planet are you from? Clue: Some things (services and/or consumables provided by others) require a wire or pipe to enter your house. Which part of this picture don't you understand?
I am from earth. Here on earth having a cable coming out of the side of your house for every room you have a TV hook up in is a bit unattractive. Like I said, I have the one leading in now. On my planet the cable people drill a hole through the siding at waist level, stick a cable into it and put a blob of clear silicone around it. It's not exactly attractive, but they call it "installation". Routing cable to the second story this way would really look bad depending on your location. My picture didn't have any misunderstanding in it. My quest is to disperse the input after receiving it from the cable coming into the house with a low level transmission not unlike what they use with internet now. How do they do it on your planet Tom?

[snip]
My present home was "pre-wired" for cable but my previous home was built before cable TV was even a wild-assed idea.
So when the cable guy showed up at the old house and said what he was going to do, I said "Neeerp! Leave that roll of coax and come back in a week".
I wired everything myself from the entry point.
When the "installer" returned he slapped on the interface box and left. He was happy, I was happy ;-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
wrote:

people
it

I will probably get flamed for the mere suggestion but I used the cold air return ducting to rout all my coax. It works like a charm. I tied off a squash ball on some thin bell wire and then used is as a fish tape for the coax (conventional fishtape gets stuck on the traverse joints (sp?)).
Does this help?
Andrew.
It's a fine idea. I'm looking for mobility. Something I can just move if I want, a different corner of the room, a different room. A broadcast system just strong enough for in the home use would be great. I'm picturing a transmitter at the hookup TV, then receivers for the others. Something that will broadcast from right at the cable without having to depend on the TV at the hookup so other channels can be watched on other TVs at the same time. Someone left a link I checked out that makes units like that, but they do not seem to sell them on line. I checked stores and even magazines, but that's the first one I have seen so far. Maybe re-transmission of cable isn't legal even on a small, in home scale? I wouldn't think it would be a problem unless the service provider wants to charge for each TV used. I can't believe they would worry about that since most seem to make their own hookups to additional TV themselves now anyway with traditional cable.
Dave
wrote:

have
Yes,
delivering
coming
get a

won't
the
great
the
There is

Huh? Transmitters and receivers and mobile hookups with traditional cable TV? Cable is cable, wireless TV is wireless TV, and it sounds like you're trying to get two different twains to meet, maybe?
Jeez, why not do what the rest of us regular Joes do and install cable jacks on 2 walls of each room (for the "mobility") and wire the whole spaghetti mess you'll end up with to a series of splitters. Your reception on all TVs will turn to shit (especially on th lower channels, most likely), but you'll kinda get what you want.
Or you can just invest in satellite and eat the bill for boxes in every room of the house.
AJS
Take a look at www.terk.com and the TF-30. Sells for about $80. Again it's 2.4 so there might be interference.
Lew

Thanks, I will check the link.
Dave

cable
Ah, yes, the cheapjack hillbilly way- a roll of cable, a drill, some staples, and a can of foam (if you are lucky.) Really dresses up a house. Not to mention that if they forget to put in a rain loop and seal the hole, you now have 'x' more points for rot to start. And since they seldom use true weather-rated cable, in a couple years that run has to be replaced anyway. Right before they stopped doing house (re)wiring at all, Ma Bell adopted similar BS practices.
Glad you are happy with it, but there is a reason they only charged 15 bucks per room. You get what you pay for.
aem sends....
On 01 Feb 2004, ameijers wrote:

Not to mention it gives you better quality pictures on your TV than some half-assed wireless system.

Not to mention that you assume everybody does hack quality work. One of those "impossible to please" home moaners, right?

Uhhh, wrong. Unless you're replacing for a slight fade in the black color? But in your case, I can see where that would be an issue!

So, do it yourself and quit fuggin' whining.

So, do it yourself and quit fuggin' whining.
ameijers wrote:

You saw what they did? Your evaluation may be similar to the work you do, but in my case, it was a very professional job. Cable was well hidden, routed from the bottom up so no drip loops needed, holes well weatherproofed. Doubt that it has to be replaced in a couple of years as it has been in for a few already and performs perfectly.
Since you h ave net seen shat was done, the only thing you suceeded in doing is showing the readers of this thread that you are short sighted, predjudicial and just plain ignorant.of what can be done by some professional installers.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

In my case, they moved the entrance, reran two lines, ran a third new line, exterior cable, under eaves and invisible, routed it through attic space and interior walls, grommeted the three penetration points, sealed with ground and drip loops as needed, plus fixed a loose section of siding. Three hours of work, not a bit of cable visible outside of the overhead line in to the cable demarc, at no charge.
The guys running cable do it every day, rain or shine, and can do a much better job than even an above average homeowner in much less time. The $15 is what the cable company charges, not what these guys get paid, locally they get between $12 and $25 an hour plus overtime, bonus pay for after hours and weekend work and some of the best benefits available locally.
Plus, they're bonded and insured.
Jeff

(snip)
Okay, I'll temper my earlier rant and say that outside wiring <can> be done so it looks acceptable, if there is no practical way to do it on the inside. But I still maintain that many, if not most, of the installations I have personally seen (and in some cases cleaned up after) were done by slobs. Sounds like you were lucky enough to get a crew that actually took pride in their work. But in the towns I have lived in, the work was generally subbed out to low bidders, so that may have something to do with it. My choice of language was probably a little extreme, and I didn't mean to slam the ones that do the work the right way.
aem sends...