Roper Washing Machine Repair Help

My no frills Roper washing machine has been working fine but as of this morning when I try to wash a load in cold water it runs cold for a minute then turns totally hot. Can anybody give a clue as to how I might start to fix it? Thanks for any help.
bethandev wrote:

Give us a model number (on a label at the back of the opening where you put the laundry in), then we can see exactly what you've got.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bethandev) wrote in message

Hi,
Model# of the washer? Cold wash, cold rince setting and you got hot water? Yikes! Fill hoses on backwards, fill valve is bad and the hot water is bleeding through the fill valve and has higher pressure than the cold water, wrong 1/2 of the fill valve is being energized by the timer/selector switch.
Can you shut off the hot water tap and still get cold water fills?