Rootering The Main Line And The Flavor Of The Year

Every three or four years, the roots need to be cut out of my main line. Typically, since I have no clean out, the rooter guy needs to snake it from the main vent on the roof ( only one bathroom.) This year, after the drain got sluggish, I shopped around. Seems most rooters won't do the roof method anymore and want to sell me a clean-out installation in front of my house. Right where the cast iron meets clay. What is involved and how bad of a job would it be for a DIY'er to install this clean out? I don't mind digging and basic plumbing is not beyond me! I'm just not up on current methods. What parts are involved? ( Are we talking a 6" "Y" and rubber clamps?? Or more??) I just don't want to pony up the $600-$1000 these companies are asking! TIA!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I don't blame them for not wanting to work on the roof.

Yes, could be as easy as a WYE and rubber/clamps.

See:

for all possible combinations.

You will be faced with cutting out a section of the clay pipe (the CI may not extend far enough out). You can rent a big diamond blade saw. Or...use a masonry (abrasive) blade in a circ saw and make a few cuts around. Wear goggles/dust mask and keep your legs/arms far from the cutting.

Instead of a WYE, consider a cleanout TEE; that permits snaking in either direction. Glue pieces of PVC pipe onto the WYE or TEE to make up the gap cut in the pipe (less about 1/2" overall). Slide the rubber booties onto the PVC stubs and drop it in place. Then slide them back onto the clay/CI pipes.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

well, i don't know anything about the job, but i'm pretty sure the plumbing part is no big deal. you're paying for the labour of digging the hole mostly. and you're paying someone else to take the chance that the hole will collapse and kill him. i dug deep in front of my house a few years ago, and thinking back, i was very lucky. i wouldn't do it again.

they probably shore up the sides and are more knowledgable than you about soil and danger. also, if you do it and the plumber guy says "it's not right", what will you do then? ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

Hick makes a very good point about safety on any excavating you do. If you live where the sewers are deep, that can be a real factor.

Also, check with the sewer utility/city to find out if cleanout provisions were made at the curb. That's quite common and the access may have been covered over long ago. Around here, some cities will even perform the rooting for the homeowner. Worth a phone call... Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

We're only talking 2-3' deep up at the house, if even that. Goes down hill from there. I know, I've been in that horrid crawl space. At least I have new ABS up to the CI at the toilet. ( The WC being the last before it heads for the street.) No more problems with washer lint and such. Now it's just roots from the planters up in the front of the house.

If I do it wrong and rooter man says he don't like it, I'll probably get my own machine. Since I've been in the house, I've had them out about three times at $150 a pop. Home Depot has the Rigid or Cobra, 100' power rooter for about that much.

Thanks for the tips!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

We had rooter calls twice per year for several years at $75.00 per then I got some Root Kill at HD. Last flush at night with the coppersomething twice per year and no more rooter calls. Plumber was here recently for another problem, under kitchen sink, and while here ran a camera down main line. A FEW small roots were seen. I dug the

2-3' and plumber put >If I do it wrong and rooter man says he don't like it, I'll probably get
Reply to
nospambob