Roofing Question

Page 2 of 2

My whole house is 3/4" t&g. Subfloors and roof decking is 6 inch wide material, exterior wall sheathing is 10" wide.
Interior walls are also 3/4" thick - 3/8 plaster over 3/8" x 8" t&g brown-paper covered gypsum-like material. Seriously, it's t&g gypsum board.
1956 colonial in western NY. Just a tad over-built. <g>

Thing is almost as old as me. I'm starting to get some rot too :-(

Since I wouldn't know how much I might need, I would wait 'til I started the tear off before making the call on that sort of thing. I would hate to show up with several sheets of plywood that I might not need to use, or worse yet, guess at the thickness, but I am guessing that things vary quite a bit regionally. I see mostly 3/4" as sheathing, and sometimes thicker on really old (turn of the century) buildings.
JK
"DerbyDad03" wrote

Thats pretty cheap. Perhaps a volume sale price?

He was on the roof though? Depending on how he inspected, he may have lifted shingles and been able to tell from edges. Also, you dont say how much he is replacing. If he' really replacing (as in all the wood layer), it doesnt matter if he matches what used to be there.

Thats reasonable. Best to tell him too. Oh, I'd get a second estimate and a 3rd <g>.

If you are in a high wind or seismic area, you may wish to consider going over all the T&G 1x with 1/2" plywood to improve the shear resistance of the roof. Of course, the wall sheathing would be more important to strengthen, but it is presumably not accessible.
Cheers, Wayne
Wayne Whitney wrote:

What on earth would have to happen to the house in order for the roof deck to separate?

Hurricane winds
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I was just considering the diff between t&g and plywood. Hurricane winds and everything goes.

At $45/sheet? You're pretty free with the guy's money. The house has been standing for 50 years, so there's little benefit to be gained from an extra layer of sheathing. I also don't like adding weight to a roof unnecessarily.