Cutting Concrete crub to allow yard to drain

My front yard like other is sloped towards the street. The water that flows through the gradd flows over the in certain areas as deposits a dark slimy film on the concrete. It is a PITA to presure wash several times a year. I'd like to make some 1" wide openings in the curb that will allow the water to flow through directly to the street.

Is there something I can Rent fomr HD or Lowes that would do this job cleanly. There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar opening in the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe installed for this very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as well.

thanks.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

What's a gradd?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

"Mook Johnson" wrote on 05 Apr 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

It's called a concrete saw. Getting it home and unloaded will be more work than making the cut.

The only part that has to look good is the surface, so you can buy a concrete blade for a circular saw. You'll ruin the saw by filling the motor with dust, so use one you want to throw away.

Check with your city. They usually require a permit for a curb cut. My city gives them away for free.

Reply to
Steve

Don't assume. Anywhere I have ever spent time, you have to get a permit to cut a curb, and a permit to run a drain pipe into the public right-of-way. The pipes in the neighbor's curbs- you sure they JUST go through the curb? I usually see those as downspout collectors or sump pit overflows. I'm getting the impression your yard has grading and draining issues.

What is making the slime? Is your yard a swamp? Runoff from my yard is pretty much clear.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

You can buy either an abrasive blade or a diamond edge blade for a circular saw. Whether the circular saw will work depends on the depth of cut you need. I used my circular saw with a diamond blade to take off several inches of a curb at the end of a driveway. I made a jig for the saw to ride on at the slope angle I wanted and made cuts every couple of inches. I then used a cold chisel to break out the cut pieces. Took about four hours of work to make the cuts and knock out the cut sections. The concrete dust from the cutting was bad. My saw came through okay, but I was worried about it. This is definitely dust mask and safety glasses work.

Reply to
Gary Dyrkacz.

Only one other thing and this is going to sound pretty stupid. If at all possible run an extension cord and set up a fan to blow the dust away from you and the saw. That's it. Sounds dumb, looks worse but my lungss and my saw are thankful.

Reply to
C & E

The water that flows throung the grass? Assuming you made a typo. If the water flows over the curb, that is how it is supposed to go. I can't quite feature pressure washing a curb several times a year......perhaps it is a sign that your fertilizer is washing away too quickly. Possibly a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, would fix your "slime" problem. If the slime is just mold/mildew, a watering can with bleach and water would probably help.

Reply to
Norminn

The SLIME is the stagnent water that dribbles over the curb after the fast runoff has ended (after a rain storm).

Unfortunately my yard is in a lower spot in the subdivision :( so it is the last to dry out. Also the drain for the cul-d-sac is right in front of my house. There is a high spot on front of the drain the prevents the lase

1/8" of water for drianing into it is it stays there a dries out. While Im' cutting I'd like to cut a trench through the high spot so it all drains of.

Looks like I'll meed a permit or a professional.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

"Mook Johnson" wrote on 06 Apr 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

I recommend a french drain. It's not complicated, just a lot of digging. Google will show you plenty of sites that explain how to do a french drain.

Reply to
Steve