Quote to replace guttering?

Looking to replace the guttering at the back and front of a town house in London. No angles - just straight run connecting to neighbouring property one side to down pipe the other. 5m run each side.

Anyone have a ball park cost?

The alternative is to just get the two leaking joints fixed but I figure this may cost just as much, especially as this is odd size 60s guttering.

Reply to
daddyf

Plastic, aluminium, cast iron?

Scaffolding/access tower required or can be done from ladders?

Easy accessible?

Parking ok?

For cast aluminium, 12m run each side, tall building, single downpipe each side, in Norfolk, *with scaffolding already in place for roofing work* - I think I paid =A3850 (IIRC - it was part of an overall roofing bill)

Reply to
RubberBiker

In Leicester, I'd charge around £200 for 10m of any type of plastic guttering. It is easily done in a day by one person, infact, if it was wooden fascias/soffits, then I'd probably include painting them at the same time. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Cheers guys.

Reply to
daddyf

Do you do that from a ladder Alan? Or do you have a tower?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Alan,

Does that include the scaffolding as required now by the HSE for working at heights greater than around 2 metres off the ground (presuming of course you run a business)?

And as for changing 10 metres of it in a day - well you are slow [1], even if you *are* working off ladders - nice profit that. ;-)

[1] That's presuming that the fascia boards are OK - or if there are no fascias, the rafter irons (brackets) will accept the new gutters.

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

There is no such requirement.

Reply to
dennis

Idiot.

Alan is a one man band, so he can work off a ladder if he wants to. Its a perfectly acceptable practise according to the HSE.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If plastic to plastic, then a ladder with the stand-off. If taking cast iron off, then scaffold tower. Takes around 20 minutes to put it up. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Do you believe everything you read in the Daily Mail? You can work at any height you want without scaffolding. And yes, I am a legitimate business, and pay taxes, follow regulations etc.

Actual profit, probably £100, if I charged £200. That is quite reasonable in my opinion, even a little low. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

All in all then a 100 quid a day less all the others expense I presume this includes materials?.

Not having bought guttering for some time but the price of Oil for plastics I suppose isn't what it once was;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

£50-60 I reckon for 10 metres and all the relevant fixings. Time to visit to give the quote, time to fetch the guttering, £10 for paint if it is wooden fascia (I always paint the fascia if changing the gutter), £5 for brass screws (again, I'd rather do a quality job, so use brass slotted screws for their corrosion resistance), probably £5 minimum for the 2 visits to customer, 1 to the gutter supplier, and one to the tip to dump the rubbish. Straight overheads are coming out at £80ish, add in depreciation of van and tools, then the profit, before tax is around £100. Then you have to guarantee it for at least a year - indeed, last week I had a call from a customer whose gutter was leaking after 14months. I went round next day, found it was not my fault, but rather the heavy rain/hail had washed loads of moss into the gutter, blocking it, leading to rain running over the top. I didnt charge to clear it out. £200 is very reasonable I think. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

Sounds far too cheap to me mate. I bet they would still bite at £250.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, you can, but you'd have to comply with Schedule 6 of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 which states:

  1. Every employer shall ensure that a ladder is used for work at height ONLY if a risk assessment under regulation 3 of the Management Regulations has demonstrated that the use of more suitable work equipment is not justified because of the low risk AND - * the short duration of use; or * existing features on site which he cannot alter.

and

  1. Where a ladder or run of ladders rises a vertical distance of 9 metres or more above its base, there shall, where reasonably practicable, be provided at suitable intervals sufficient safe landing areas or rest platforms.

(my emphasis, from

Owain

But Alan isn't asking an employee to go up a ladder, hes a one man band like me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Then he, and you, are self-employed i.e. you are employed by yourself.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Irrelevant really as the definitions of short times, etc. in the "rules" are not defined. You can use a ladder if you think its safe and nothing goes wrong. If you fall off then there may be a case to answer, if not there is no case as it was an adequate solution. You are far more likely to fall foul of the conditions in your insurance than in the law.

Reply to
dennis