roofer stripped old shingles and reused 22yo felt, bad or ok?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote in message

Invite the bitch over for a drink. Get the 'em drunk and ask him bullshit questions about the roof, or anything to get him up there. When you two are up there, push the fuckhead off your roof then call the cops. Tell the fuzz he was trespassing, or drunk on the job.
... or shoot him and say he was breaking in
... Oh fuck all that. Just go burn his own house down...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote:

Doesn't it have a hundred zillion holes from the shingles?
AFAIK, it is the tar paper (felt) that provides the water proofing, the shingles are there to provide durability.
That is why one can proceed with the rest of the construction, once the framing and sheathing has been covered with tar paper. Which have been replaced by newer materials like Tyvek and shingle underliner.
scribbled this interesting note:

If water penetrates the shingles, the felt rots in no time. Felt is good for drying in a job, and may even last weeks, or months, depending on the quality of the job, but the shingles are what waterproof the house, not the felt.
Shingles are the primary waterproofing..... felt lapped properly is your secondary defense against water.
(don) wrote:

John wrote:>Doesn't it have a hundred zillion holes from the shingles?

Only temporarily. Or in systems like tile or _maybe_ cedar shakes. The tile keeps UVs off the felt, slowing the felt's degradation. Tom Work at your leisure!
How did he get the old shingles off without destroying the felt underlay. He must have been very careful!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Tonks wrote:

And how did he inspect the decking?
I would be most concerned with deck rot and bad flashing and hidden rot, not to mention old felt. So how did he inspect these areas? You should get another onsite pro out, pay a roofer, or inspector. Obviously he was a hack. Chimneys are a #1 concern and often require un seen repairs, ex. flashing , tuckpointing , wood deck repair. Get an onsite pro out.
I hired a roofer to do a garage with flat roof {Stone walls } with new 20 yr rubber roof and replace all rotted wood, I told the guy do it right Im a contractor and will check your work. He was ready to put on the roof, I came up and saw rot and took his big breaker bar and started busting through the roof, Boy did that piss him off, and me more, he screamed at me I screamed back " you said you would fix rotted wood " well he did, well all is ok now, Right ? So 3 hrs later , I saw his truck with good 20 yr rubber roofing in the driveway and a few rolls unloaded, so I got on the roof to check his repairs and work ,, and found he was using cheap 10- TEN year crap, and sneaking it up the Other side of the roof ! Yea I got a crook, and he RE did it all befoire I paid. Watch out, alot of crooks out there.

This is Turtle.
The Felt is for stopping the water from reaching the wood deck. The shingles are to stop the felt from being damaged by the wind or hail storms. Why change the shingles if your not going to change the one thing that will hold back the water from doing damage to the roof deck. If you like just change the felt and forget the shingles to stop the water from coming through to the attic area. If you damage the shingles and not the felt. It will still not leak.
TURTLE
scribbled this interesting note:

Only for a short while. Felt is not the waterproofing, the shingles are. Once water penetrates the shingles the felt will fail in short order.

This is Turtle.
You don't need the felt to hold the water back for every. You need it to hold the water back for a short while when the water blows under the shingles. This is all it is good for and not the shingles job in the first place.
TURTLE

How is the roof felt supposed to stop water penetration to the roof deck when it's full of holes like swiss cheese after the shingles are installed?

I have to wonder why, if the above is true, shingles come with 15, 20, 25, or 30 year warrantys, but roofing felt comes with no warranty or claim in regards to waterproofability.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

The GAF products have a system warranty, which covers their underlayment and shingles. Another advantage of a good pro.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote in message
final word I hope, My nerves couldn't stand a legal fight, so I just tried to get him to do the rest of the job the best he could or would. I did see where there is some debate over felt but wish there was a clear answer. I will always have a clear contract and also be onsite when the work is done. He did strip my patio decking "the last part of the job"at my insistence, and both sides were rotten. I wonder how much other damage he covered over? O well,,, thanks for the help, Don
On 9 Nov 2004 19:08:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote:

You will need to visit your attic during the next wind driven rain to scan for leaks. Especially on any valleys.
Durning normal rains, the felt will NOT come into play as the shingles provide a watertight system.
Pj
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote:

I think this makes it clear why there shouldn't be any discussion on the issue. You simply can not do a complete job with out removing and replacing the felt/paper.