roofer stripped old shingles and reused 22yo felt, bad or ok?

Page 1 of 2
I hired a roofer to tear off my roof and I assumed he was going to replace the paper. I told him I wanted it stripped so that the decking could be inspected. When I stopped by to see how the decking looked I noticed he had reused the old paper, he said he only replaces it if it is bad, and none was bad,it crumbles into small pieces if you crush it The roof was 2 thirds done by the time I noticed, Anyway any opinions?
I say very bad.
AZCRAIG

This is very bad news. Moral of Story: (1) never be anywhere but *on* the roof when roofers are working. I've never seen a trade so rife with slipshod practices. I know this advice is too late for this job, but you can apply it in the future. (2) Never assume anything, especially verbal "indications" of intent to do things. (3) Get written contracts, so you have recourse if you find faults.
I would not pay the guy. Fire him.

Get a camera, document everything, you will go to court over this. get alot of PHOTOS, PHOTOS . Do not pay the SOB
On 8 Nov 2004 16:53:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote:

Sure. Look at your contract. If it says new felt, then you get new felt. If not then you get a lesson in contracts.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.dude says...

It may not specifically say new felt, but it may promise some standard of workmanship that you could argue has been violated -- but that's the problem, you *might* prevail if you spend the time and money to argue a case. Having the specifications spelled out clearly in advance takes a little more time and expertise up front, but saves far more in the end.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
(don) wrote:

Shouldn't need to be specified to win this one. New felt on a re-roof is expected workmanship. I don't understand any contractor not useing it as it is a very minor cost for the job. I wonder what other things he cut corners on? 20 yr vs 30 or 40 as requested??
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Not necessarily. There is a continuing discussion over whether felt is necessary or not. I think it is, but there are many who specify no felt under shingles. It is not a standard industry practice.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/letters/roofing/no_felt.htm
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
(don) wrote:

And printed prominently on every bundle of shingles I have seen.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Are you saying that there is no discussion of whether or not felt is needed? I know what the codes and manufacturers requirements are. I am just saying that there is a discussion about the necessity of underlayment. You can't just say that felt is an industry standard if there are opposing views in the industry.
I personally think that it is necessary, but right now there is not a complete consensus. It could be argued in a court of law which is where many of you are directing the OP.
Do you want all the info, or do you just want to be right?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I don't care a wit whether I am right or not. Just pointing out the facts. What got your panties in a bunch??
Harry K
DO NOT PAY THE SOB AND CALL THE CITY. MY last SOB had 20+ suits against him and lost all, but I got zero
don wrote:

You haven't paid him yet, I hope. Fire him. Let him eat the cost of the dumpster, shingles, etc. that he's already paid for.
Even if you do this, you'll end up in court eventually, because he will try to put a mechanic's lein against your house.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote in message

Thanks for your comments, He gave me a proposal, to tear off old roofing, no mention of felt. We never signed the proposal and I have paid no money, Who has the legal hammer?
On 9 Nov 2004 06:21:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote:

There is little chance you can win this one. A roofer that doesn't put new felt down is not likely to have assets that you could attach to get your judgment paid so you will never get a penny if you win a lawsuit and there is some chance that he will get a lien on your house if you do not pay him - at least for most of the amount of the improvement value. You can probably attribute your problem to your own lack of good judgment in using the "low bidder" process. You are between a rock and a hard place. I'd work it out if at all possible.
Did his proposal say tear off and replace old shingles or old roof. Shingles would mean you are screwed but arguably if it says roof that would include shingles, flashing and felt. You could go to HD and look thru their do it yourself books there and find some that define roofing job as including shingles, flashing and felt. Then when he sues you for payment you have his unsigned proposal as evidence of what was discussed plus the books you bought which describe the common terms.

now is the time to pull your head out of your ass. stop getting involved with roofers without a contract, stop asking newsgroup members for their guesses, and call a lawyer.
randy
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (don) wrote:

Maybe it is time to consult a lawyer? Followed by a consult to a licensed, bonded, insured roofer?
IANAL but here goes, offer something for the tear off that was completed, and let him eat the shingles for a job effed up. Putting this into nice words, is what the lawyer is for.
Your gonna have to pay to have it re-roofed right.