Roof access - why buy a ladder?

After completing my addition, I now find that the only way to get on my roof is to go purchase a 32' extension ladder (maybe). I may need to go even more, but the fact that I ONLY need it to clean out a set of gutters.
The fact that I have no trees around my house means that some other objects usually are blocking the gutters. I have found tennis balls, tennis shoes, newspapers, drink cans... did I mention I have children? :)
Anyway, considering the cost of a ladder that I am only going to use twice a year at most, I have no reason to buy a 40' ladder. On the other hand, it is a major PITA to go to "insert rental place here" to get a ladder.
Has anyone just gone and installed an access hatch to the roof? I know it means a hole in the roof, but properly installed, I cannot believe it to be any worse than a power vent or skylight.
Comments?
On 8 Aug 2005 20:25:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bravesw.com wrote:

I hate to tell you this, but your house is too high. Worse yet, it was constructed incorrectly. Your house should have been built to be telescopic. When you want to clean the gutters, the upper floors should overlap the lower floors and retract, leaving the gutters only 6 feet off the ground. After cleaning them, push a button and the house goes back to normal height. I suggest you rebuild the house.
Mark

....snipped...>
That is just silly. There is noting wrong with the height of his house, it simply has the GUTTERS installed too high! Just install the gutters at about 7 ft, or perhaps at a comfortable height for the ladder which you own now.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
you must have been subconsciously recalling that old Looney Tunes episode where Daffy Duck was a door to door saleman pestering Porky Pig to purchase his wares.

make sure you don't waste any money on safety lines, or the like.
just drink a few shots, then go out to the edge of your roof, then start cleaning your gutters.
snipped-for-privacy@bravesw.com wrote in

There is that ladder they sell on TV that folds down into a small size.

"....but don't order yet! You also get this 12 piece steak knife set......"
;-]
I had a 2 story house [Altadena, CA] built in 1926. The flat central portion of the roof would have been inaccessible as the sides were steep and covered with barrel tile. The access hole never leaked while I lived there. Might be more work/expense cutting in than just buying a ladder.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Greetings,
snipped-for-privacy@bravesw.com wrote:

For gutter cleaning I got 2'' PVC in 10' sections. At the top I used made a U. Attach a shop-vac brush to the end of the U, attach the bottom of the PVC to the shop vac. Vacuum away. Setup to cleanup takes about 1/2 hour & I needn't get out the ladder.
Crappy diagram:
+--+ | | Brush --> + | Gutter--> |_| | | | | | _____ Shop Vac-> | | | | -----
--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt

Have you ever worked at the edge of a roof? Not many people like to be leaning over the edge of a roof. I install shingles and don't like to be right on the edge. Also not good to walk on roof. It shortens the life of the shingles. Buy the ladder you will need it for other things like cleaning the siding, gable vents, etc.

Yeah, if you need a 32 footer to access it, hanging over the edge is a little harrowing. And it's going to get moreso as you get older. Look into some gutter covers - questionable value for keeping out leaves, but should work just dandy to shed tennis balls and shoes.
Wise guys :) It's what I get for posting late at night. Although I am learning toward the idea of tossing certain boys onto the roof, I think getting the 40' ladder one last time, add the covers, and then my woes should be *minimized*.
As far as leaning over the roof, I concede that it is starting to bother me.
Thanks for the feedback... going to look for plans on a trebuchet.....
snipped-for-privacy@bravesw.com wrote:

http://www.trebuchet.com/sim/demo.php
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
On 9 Aug 2005 07:06:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bravesw.com wrote:

Just buy a cheap used gun and shoot the kids. Problem solved !!!!
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
snipped-for-privacy@bravesw.com wrote:

This might be a good time to teach the kids the physics behind a trebuchet. Build it in the backyard, throw the occasional cow or anvil into the neighbor's yard, and, when gutter-cleanin' time comes around, fling a kid onto the roof.

I *like* you :)
tm wrote:

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

My city has a "Lend a tool" program. All I have to do is show up at the shed when it is open and prove my residence by flashing a water bill and they will lend me ladders, lawn tools, saws etc for free.
Check your city hall website, you may have a program too.