Ridgid vs Reed

I've been looking at pipe threaders, reamers, pipe vice, etc. over the last week or so. What struck me as interesting is how similar many of the Reed tools are to Ridgid.
Look at pipe threaders & reamers. It is obvious that one is copying the other - their designs are almost identical, at times. The last straw, so to speak, came when I looked at the pipe chain vices. Same story, both manufacturers have almost identical designs.
I am curious as to which company came first and - who is copying whom? Anyone know?
snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.org (MS) wrote:

Ridgid was making pro quality plumbing tools before Emerson took the name into other tools, after they lost the Sears contract.
I don't know of Reed, but I heard of Ridgid a couple of decades ago.
<< I don't know of Reed, but I heard of Ridgid a couple of decades ago. >>
I remember the name from back in the 30's.
And furthermore, if Reed can't come up with something at least equal to the famous Ridgid annual calendar (!) then they aren't even worth considering.
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote in message

In real life, was Miss Ridgid Tool married to Mr. Ridgid Tool?

Reed tools came about in 1896. Rigid came about in 1923.
Wont own anything but a Ridgid pipe tool...at least until Emerson bastards them out to the Japanese and Chinese like they have the electronic division.