RF shielding the service

C > I recently moved my home office to another part of the house and have C > discovered a fairly pronounced symptom of RF interference in my pc C > monitor (occassional wavy lines). Unfortunately the optimal placement C > of my pc puts it directly above the service panel in the basement and C > against the wall where the power enters the house.

As the others indicated, it's the magnetic field(s) from the service panel and wiring interacting with your monitor. I have a similar effect here with the power transformer of the radio causing the monitor to flutter ever-so-slightly. (The unit is located on a shelf about 8" above the top of the monitor.)

C > I could move my workstation to another part of the room but I'm C > wondering if there isn't something I could do to shield first. I must C > admit I'm a little concerned about the health effects of this as well.

The relatively long wavelength of 60 Hz makes it a bear to elminate. For "poops and giggles" I tried a sheet of aluminum foil (grounded) between the receiver and the monitor, a sheet of metal. No effect, or at least none noticed.

I think it's going to be easier to move the computer station than eliminate the magnetic fields. You might try moving your set up 90ø

-- perpendicular to the wall. Might be far enough from the source to only get a slight flutter, and/or the electric service fields and monitor fields not interfere with each other as much.

  • Don't let the past hold you back, you're missing the good stuff.
Reply to
barry martin

The display disturbance is because the varying magnetic field is modulating the position of the CRT electron beam. It will be worst when the field lines ar parallel with the screen and minimal when they are run perpendicular to the screen.

A larger monitor (higher accelerating voltage will be disturbed less) or you can use this as your excuse to get that 21" LCD monitor you've wanted. ;-)

Shielding with aluminum will do absolutely nothing. Distance and orientation are your only hope.

RB

barry mart> C > I recently moved my home office to another part of the house and have

Reply to
RB

Get a solid state monitor. The electric costs might even cover it now, unless you're using the CRT to heat your home.

Reply to
Ron Hardin