Resurfacing an asphalt driveway

I am about to put a brick edging to most of my driveway and a 2x6 edging to the part where the land slopes away thanks to responses to an earlier thread.

The last two times I had a contractor seal my driveway, the cracks an holes were not filled. So I am wondering if resurfacing it myself is practical.

I will appreciate all comments an suggeations.

Dick

-- Moderator: misc.taxes.moderated

Reply to
Dick Adams

Yes, you can buy the sealer and other supplies at any of the home center stores. The sealer will make the driveway look better and may help extend it's life. However, if the driveway has real underlying problems, is old, deteriortated, etc, it isn't going to solve that.

Reply to
trader4

Particularly if you're in area where freeze/thaw cycles are problem, holes and cracks are the beginning of the failure points. There are also patching products depending on the size/nature of such defects you may want to take the time to fix first.

Ah, the gravel drive just looks better all the time... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

  1. I am in the Land of the damnyankee snow (USDA 8a)
  2. There is a 3" wide x 1/2" deep hole.
  3. There are several long thin cracks.
  4. There is a 2' piece of the driveway that has given in on the edge where the land slopes.

The piece that has given in is not cracked or shredded. I plan to create a curb for it with a 2x6 as someone suggested in an earlier thread.

I hope to close on the sale of this house in June of

2009 and return to the Promised Land of North Carolina.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Explain what you mean by resurfacing please. If you mean adding a 2" top coat of asphalt, no. If you mean filling the holes and crack and then brushing on sealer, yes. Can be hard work and messy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski