Asphalt resurfacing. . .

The asphalt parking lot of our six-unit condo building is beginning to crack badly and I'd like to know some options.

A year or so ago a similar building not far away did

Reply to
Ray

The asphalt parking lot of our six-unit condo building is beginning to crack and will need resurfacing. I'd like to get experience of anyone else who has done this work.

Not long ago I noticed that a similar building near us did a job on its parking lot that seemed to involve just spreading a liquid sealer over the entire surface. The job required only a couple of workmen and was all done in two or three days.

I'm sure that this isn't what is properly called "resurfacing." But it seemed to work, and the result looks good.

Does anyone have any idea what this involved and how much it costs? The lot is fairly large, with five parking slots and a 60-foot driveway.

Reply to
Ray

My experience, just sealing my own driveway, which sounds a little smaller than yours, it would cost about $100 for good sealer if DYI and I was given a quote of about $400 for a professional.

Sealing will not cure cracks but will preserve drive for longer use.

Reply to
Frank

Roughly 7 (units of your choosing). Why not post start another thread and post the same question?

RicodJour

Why not consult some asphalt contractors?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Sealer is thin (at the least the $15 per bucket stuff that I used was), so it won't fill in cracks. You'd want to thoroughly go over all cracks with a crack sealer, which is thicker, and then seal over that to get a good smoooth finish.

Reply to
ShadowTek

Right and I assume commercial folks use the cheaper stuff but even the $25 per bucket stuff does not completely fill cracks. When it dries, crack persists, but I think it helps because it keeps out water and ice heave which can ruin asphalt. Same for thick stuff that comes in gallons or quarts.

Reply to
Frank

Can you provide some pictures? I am a reserve analyst field investigator, and have done about 500 HOA studies, the largest 1100 acres.

There is all sorts of deterioration. Cracks can be cured by pouring hot tar mix, and can be done when it is resealed. Severe spalling, called alligatoring is different. Severe cracking is not normal and indicates subsidence or underground caving in due to water leakage, and other things.

Some of the HOA's are using a new process, not sure what it's called, but a big a** machine comes in, eats off the top two or three inches, mixes it up with heat, some new tar, some new goo, and redeposits it, even with grooves, and crowning in desired areas for drainage. It costs more than sealcoating, but is only about 40% IIRC of total replacement. It all depends on present state of your asphalt, and the kind of job you got in the first place.

HTH

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

It's called sealcoating. Sealcoating in Las Vegas, Nevada is $.20 per square foot. That is twenty cents per square foot to have someone come in, pour tar in the cracks, do some cleanup, and then pour a foul smelling for a few days seal coat on there that will last a few years. When you go up in numbers of square feet, as in 50,000 and 100,000 and 200,000 the price goes down a little to as low as fifteen cents a square foot.

This is a standard multiplier on our Excel spreadsheets for the HOA reserve studies we do.

HTH Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Sealing the cracks is also important for preventing plant growth from widening the cracks. Our crabgrass around here can bust cracked asphalt apart like a damn chisel and hammer if left to grow for any length of time.

Reply to
ShadowTek

they did that at work a while back; there must be different quality grades of the stuff. It didn't last four months. cracks are back and down the middle of the aisles, and even in some of the most used parking spots, the gravel in the asphalt is gravel colored again, not black.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

de quoted text -

Sounds lke they hured the gypsie driveway sealers that come around every spring and then disappear.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You got a shoddy job. I've seen sealcoatings three years old that looked good.