Replacing windows, frame and all

Page 2 of 2
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You make a good point, but if you discover lead, no matter what you do, your ability to sell the house later is reduced. Remember the mantra: "If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question."
The reason is you must disclose the (former) presence of lead.

That sounds like "don't ask, dont't tell".
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 08:00:05 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

No, it's not at all. They're asking, you (legally) have to tell. If you don't, and it can be proven, you're in for a world of hurt. You could get the house back, trashed, in a decade *and* have to pay the current owner, big-time.
Thanks everyone for all of the ideas, suggestions, and feedback. I didn't realize that replacing the entire window, frames and all, is fairly common. I also found some YouTube videos that show how its done and what would be involved if I decide to go ahead with the "full frame window replacement" idea.
I do know that doing full frame window replacements won't solve all of the possible issues with lead based paint. But part of my thinking is that if I can eliminate some of the potential sources of lead exposure, that may be worth doing from a risk management point of view. So, if I am replacing the windows anyway, maybe going to the extra step and expense of removing all of the old frames and trim will be worthwhile. It's a one-time cost, so I may just go ahead and do that.