Replacing squirrel cage fan

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact it didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace it, but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents into the attic so far as I can tell.
So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world? Or are there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole right now.

Is it drywall? Is it textured?

Just painted drywall.

Well at least you can patch & paint the ceiling at worst.
I put in a small bath fan and the square housing hole was like 7 x/x" square. Maybe for the larger (more cfm) ones it's larger. Maybe just a more powerful motor.
There's: "Download Ventilation Fan Catalog (.pdf)" from NuTone at     http://www.nutone.com/product-category.asp?CategoryID 0159
Probably has the hole spec for them. Just a guess though.
Eigenvector wrote:

I would plan on the larger hole and larger vent piping. Small vents loud vents. Look around for a nice quiet vent fan and go from there. They will tend to cost more, but they will be a lot easier to live with and usually last longer.
BTW good catch on the venting to the attic. That is a good way of causing some expensive damage if you don't vent it to the outside.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I-net for ordering home repair stuff, so I'm not sure what I'll get. But for a decent one it looks like I'll have to drop about 150 to $200.
Eigenvector wrote:

That is about right.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Eigenvector posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."