Replacing Heating Element in Dishwasher Tips/Concerns?

how difficult a task is this? I would rather save a few bucks if this is manageable by a normal human...
thanks!
JohnH
tuta wrote in message ...

It likely depends on the make and design of the dishwasher. As long as the retaining nuts are not corroded on, it shouldn't usually be too difficult, even less so it you're a contortionist.
BTW. Are you certain the element is defective? They are not a very common item which normally needs replacing.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwasher
=~~~~~~

well, a plastic spatula fell to the bottom and basically melted itself onto the element. The element still heats up just fine -- but I get a distinct 'melted-plastic' odor!
I have tried to scrub it off, but to no avail -- if you know of tips to get that off, please let me know...
Actually I may post this separately just in case some of the cleaner gurus miss it.
JohnH

Cutting as much as possible with a razor blade scraper then using some emery cloth and/or steel wool might get it to the point where the remaining can be burnt off. (a well ventilated kitchen might be a good idea for that and may take a couple of extended heat dry cycles).
If you can't get it off satisfactorily, I agree that replacing the element may be necessary.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=dishwasher+elements
Try removing the heating element to clean it. You should be able to do a better cleaning job on your workbench than you can inside your dishwasher. Try things like steel wool if you have to.
Having said all of this, when I bought my house my heating element inside my dishwasher didn't work because a wire broke, so I've been in that area recently. It doesn't look to terribly difficult to get the heating element out if you can get to the bolts that hold it in.