Replace spark plugs

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)?
I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the job?
p4o2 wrote:

Looking on the web ("spark plugs 2000 Malibu"), it seems as if the hardest part is removing the sparkplug wires - they sometimes attach themselves like a barnacle to the plugs. Plan on replacing the sparkplug wires along with the plugs.
One poster said the easiest way to remove the back three was to drive the car up on a ramp and attack the suckers from underneath.
p4o2 wrote:

It's an American lack of engineering intelligence. Replaceable parts should be accessible. If they were building houses you can bet they would put junctions boxes behind walls not accessible.
--
LSMFT

On 10/21/10 12:20 pm, LSMFT wrote:

I have no idea about the Malibu, but replacing the plugs in my Chrysler 300M was a piece of cake. I don't recall the price of the plugs at AutoZone -- maybe $4 each.

In fact inaccessible junction boxes are illegal in the USA -- at least according to the last many editions of the National Electrical Code.
Perce

They ARE accessible. The normal maintenance interval for spark plugs is 100,000 miles. They really don't need to be super-easily accessible if you only have to change them every 100,000 miiles.
On 10/21/2010 11:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com wrote:

there's no reason to ever change them.
--
Steve Barker
On 10/21/10 10:21 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

Even if the plugs don't get fouled by oil and carbon, the electrodes do gradually erode. I'd bet that the gaps are somewhat wider after 100K miles than when they were new.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Platinum or Iridium plugs last LOMG time!

I have 127K on my 2002 Pathfinder. I monitor every drop of gasoline that goes into the vehicle, and do a cumulative interval mileage check every 4K or so. So far I have not had any decrease in mileage, so I have to assume all cylinders are firing ok. I won't worry about replacing the platinum plugs until I see the mileage showing signs of decreasing.

random misfires throwing code. Replaced with OEM Champion Plats and the missfires went away.

Don't bet a lot on that. Granted I waited until 140K- but on my '95 Taurus they were widened a bit. I did my Impala right around the 100K mark & the plugs looked like they had just a couple thousand miles on them.
And then there are those gapless plugs that are becoming popular.
Jim

that's true, the gaps do grow. But with the high energy systems we have now (since about '74) the spark can jump a gap in excess of ONE INCH. So there's really no need for an electrode on the plug at all. The only reason for one is to keep the spark from jumping to the crown of the piston.
--
Steve Barker
LSMFT wrote: ...

BS.
I can give you a list of any number of non-US manufactured vehicles that are at least as difficult if not worse for routine maintenance access items...

My son's Audi seems to start every job with "Remove front bumper, cowl, and radiator.<g>
Jim

I love it when the shop manual has no instructions for just the job at hand. Ie: clutch job that has total engine removal as a step then engine removal that has total transmission removal as one of the steps. If you followed the steps you'd be taking the knob off the shifter and dismantling the dashboard center console to do a clutch job.

holes in firewall. Using long extention, remove 3 plugs. Replace plugs and install firewall plugs.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

--
LSMFT

WOW !!! Guess it is worth the $191.
BTW I am p4o2 (different computer).
I should have know this since I had the serpentine belt on the 2000 Malibu replaced and they had to remove a motor mount and lift the engine.

Not sure of the motor size, but a fellow at work was quoted $ 1200 for the timing belt on his PT Cruiser at a dealership. He drove it and the belt broke. Got it replaced for only $ 850. Thing was he was about 150 miles from home and had to get a ride back home and it took 3 days for the independent shop to do the work.