Replace rotary sprinkler head

I need to replace Rainbird rotary sprinkler heads (R50). The sprinkler guy said I can do it myself - just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one.
Do I need to dig around it to the pipe to do it? If not, how can I make sure when I remove the old one that dirt does not fall into the hole?
Please, help me with any tips on how to do this.
Thanks!
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, Inside the head there is a filter which can be removed y itself. Like the guy said unscre the old when ground is pretty dry and install new one. Clean the filter in case dirt got sucked in.
Take apart the replacement head by unscrewing the head off the top of the can. Remove the old can that contacts the surrounding earth. May take slight digging at the top to grasp the top lip of the can.
Turn on that station (resulting in a geyser of water). Take just the new can (it's empty inside) and screw it down over the geyser of water. You may get slightly wet but it beats digging. Turn off the station.
There should be no dirt inside the can and the geyser purged out any dirt that fell into the supply pipe. The can should be tall enough so that no dirt can fall into it now from the surrounding dirt.
Now take the head and everything attached to it that was initially removed. Insert it into the can and screw it back on. Turn on the station again and re-aim the spray pattern unless it's a 360-degree pattern. Done.